Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How important is warranty to you? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87363-how-important-warranty-you.html)

Sydwayz 09-21-2004 04:28 PM

How important is warranty to you?

I have the option of buying 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 additional years of Mercury Warranty on my 496HO/XZ powerplants.

The boat is a 2003 37 Active Thunder. For those of you already interested in the boat, what might you like? :D

Seriously; I think I am going to go full tilt, 5 additional years, for a total of 6 from original installation/use. I think the only thing that would hurt me is if the only buyer I can find plans to rip out the powerplants. I appreciate your opinions.

PhantomChaos 09-21-2004 04:30 PM

Re: How important is warranty to you?

Is it transferable???

Steamin Rice 09-21-2004 04:36 PM

As long as it's transferrable, a warrantied, turnkey boat is a great thing..

Sydwayz 09-21-2004 04:39 PM

Yes, fully transferable.

Wasabe 09-21-2004 06:44 PM

Warranty is extremely important. I'm sure it has covered many a$$es many times. Ask Nort. His boat breaks all the time. And it being transferable... sounds good to me. It's a no brainier.

Hey NORDEE where you the dork that sent a Formula brochure to the house? :D

Sydwayz 09-21-2004 07:04 PM

I want it for my own use as well. I planned for this when I purchased the boat. If someone drops that pair of 525EFIs that Philly is selling in my lap, well, that would be cats-ass; however, I just don't see myself really hopping up the boat.

Havasu Cig 09-21-2004 07:13 PM

I bought the five year warranties on our 500 EFI's and the XR's. I got a very good deal on the warranty and it has paid for itself a couple time over. So far I have replaced one motor and one drive all under warranty. I say it is well worth it. :cool:

Hydrocruiser 09-21-2004 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
I bought the five year warranties on our 500 EFI's and the XR's. I got a very good deal on the warranty and it has paid for itself a couple time over. So far I have replaced one motor and one drive all under warranty. I say it is well worth it. :cool:

If you have a good local Merc service shop you are in business. Very good at no squabble fix or replace.

Ed 09-21-2004 09:13 PM

The extended Merc Warranties are only as good as the dealer thats servicing them. My .02 cents. Ed :)

fountain1fan 09-22-2004 01:30 AM

the coast of a drive or 2 would probably pay for it self .