Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Minnesota Trooper Writes 205 MPH Ticket

Wonder what that ticket cost
Old 09-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no doubt the kid was going fast but what bike is geared to do 205?

It would have to be one helluva cafe racer!

I think the cop miscalculated/mis-timed.

Wannabe
Old 09-22-2004, 08:20 AM
jtmiller02

Not possible, that bike isn't capable of doing it for 1, and at speeds over 150 even the slightest error on the officers part is a huge difference in speed. Theres a reason nobody uses a stop watch for any real measurement.

Was he going fast? Yes. Was he going 205? No way, no how, its BS.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my last bike, I passed a trooper doing well past 160. Actually, the needle was buried on a 180 mph speedo, but we all know how accurate they are.
As far as I could tell, he never even pulled out of his hiding spot. I got off at the next exit and took back roads straight to my garage.
Shortly after, I sold that bike and haven't owned another since.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

A couple years ago (when I was even more stupid and foolish) I had my bike clocked on a country road with others who cleared and checked the road before I ran. I was clocked at 174. It felt like I was doing 1000 mph. I could never see myself attempting that again. If that guy was doing anything close to 205 on an open and unchecked road god bless him. At those speeds the slightest movement of your head or knee has drastic results.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:26 AM
jtmiller02

Originally Posted by Jesse James
It is very possible.....several turbo hayabusa's break 200 frequently official records with proper timing equipment have proven this at bonneville, maxton, and some airstrip in tx. My digital speedo was showing 188mph in 5th on a dyno pull and I only made 160 hp according to that dyno and my bike is only a 1000 and geared down 1 for acceleration and not top end. A pro stock bike makes around 300 hp and reaches mid to high 180's in the quarter from a standing start. I believe most production bikes shut down at 186mph but that is an easy fix. I am not saying what he was doing was smart but none the less it is very possible.

I have owned and ridden most of the fastest bikes in production. On a dyno, yes they will will show numbers close to or exceeding 200, and yes a race bike or turbo bike will exceed this speed. However a Dyno does not have any wind resistance which at these speeds is the greatest factor and a dyno is hardly a real world test. As I said before, the guy is most likely on a Stock 1000 and maybe has a pipe or power commander, but he was not exceeding 200mph, there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind about this.

At 180 you are traveling 1 mile every 20 seconds. If this officer timed the bike over a distance of half a mile, an error of only small fractions of a second would be several miles per hour difference. 180 is very possible even likely but I highly doubt the guy was doing more than 180.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonder why Trouty has not confirmed this?

Here is the only thought I can muster up on this one. In CA the planes the CHP uses are not that fast. Like 115 mph fast. So how in the world did this plane position itself over the bike sufficiently so that it could pick the points, watch the bike and still have a perfect point of view?

At the planes velocity if 115 mph it is moving 168 fps. The motorcycle at 205 mph is moving 300 fps. Unless the highways in MN are dotted with these stripes continuously, there isn’t much of a chance that the plane could have just lucked into to it and there is no way that plane could have waited for the point in the road to time it as the velocity of the motorcycle is far to great in comparison to the plane.

Change the plane speed and it still doesn't work out for a timed point on the highway to appear for measurement.

Remember, a plane cannot hover over the measurement points on the highway like a helicopter could so I don’t really believe the numbers.

Poor bastard should have taken his high school math teacher to court instead of his attorney!
Old 09-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

...and I was p!ssed about my 81 in a 65 last Saturday night
Old 09-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

My buddy got a ticket for 143 MPH in a construction zone in Oklahoma. The four troopers that stopped us said that was the largest speeding ticket that they had even heard of, much less written!
Old 09-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rik
Wonder why Trouty has not confirmed this?
He did by starting a thread regarding this in the proper location. The off topic forum.

Quick Reply: Minnesota Trooper Writes 205 MPH Ticket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.