Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   NUTTY STV WITH 2.5 280hp (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87526-nutty-stv-2-5-280hp.html)

Jonas 09-24-2004 12:34 AM

NUTTY STV WITH 2.5 280hp

went for a rid e today and actually got to drive an stv today,, holy fun batman.....
but its nutball rally!!!!!!!!!!!!
this thing couldnt get past 80 as its starts porposing bad!! freakin squirely as helll ,, no matter what we did with jack platte and trim didnt help.
porposed so bad the whole boat was out of the water???
hwat the ???
any ideas ???
i want one but not that does that, is it normal i tried offand getting in it had and would only get worse..?
guy that owns it cant get his head around it either cant get it to run or get a set?
anyone have any thoughts?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 09-24-2004 04:57 AM

Re: NUTTY STV WITH 2.5 280hp

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe the boat has a hook in the bottom? :eek:

I always heard those boats ran quite well. :confused:

Double check the rigging set up and put a straight edge on the bottom.

Also. maybe give a different prop a try. Possible too much lift in it...

Good Luck!

throttleup 09-24-2004 07:35 AM

Jonas,

Matt works with a few of these guys. Give us a call.

Julie

TablerockToy 09-24-2004 08:09 PM

I know this is going to sound crazy but the best way to get through the stv hop is to trim up and stand on the gas. Whats happening is the air is burping out the back of the tunnels. Once the back of the comes up you can trim more neutral (down) and the boat will feel like it shifts gears it will just take off!!!
Tell me more about the setup and Ill try and help ya get it so it doesn't hop as bad. OK just reread the post the boat shouldnt be jumpin out of the water.... Off the top of my head the propshaft should be even to 1.5" above the pad, depending on the weight of boat and setback. What stv model is it? How much setback? What prop? Most stv work best with chopper or semi-clever props. I like a lightning E.T.

CJ

WETTE VETTE 09-24-2004 08:32 PM

Tablerock is right!! When the STV hop begins in the 70 - 80 MPH range more trim is required!! This defies logic, but it is a fact!! Be careful!!! :eek:

dreamboater 09-24-2004 09:24 PM

Depending on which bottom and which model. That boat should run between 105-110 (Euro), The River Racers are faster, a lot smaller and lighter (I have heard around 115-120 with this setup. There are a couple of Mod VP's with 300 Drags running around 140mph (that is insane)

gearcase 09-24-2004 11:55 PM

time to go out again! isn't that a 260 2.5 with no indicator for jack plate or motor? sea star hydrolic any play in it ? need a base line before driving threw the porpose in less you know how these boats run just my 2 cents. fun boats little more time lots of fun.

Jonas 09-25-2004 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by gearcase
time to go out again! isn't that a 260 2.5 with no indicator for jack plate or motor? sea star hydrolic any play in it ? need a base line before driving threw the porpose in less you know how these boats run just my 2 cents. fun boats little more time lots of fun.

yes some minor play in steering
no indicators
pro cmp stv
i think its a 260

fun yes but when i wasnt hangong on to the wheel it was freakin scary..
YES I AM A WUSS and i am ok with that,.. cats have 9 lives i dont know how many i have but i know from 0 to 30 i used at least 5 ,,, so i am alittle concerned,, : )

AUClay 10-21-2018 03:26 PM

STV Mod VP

That’s Dorsey Frabott’s old Mod VP. I’d recognize it anywhere. That boat always ran great, strong, and very fast. Dorsey had it setup perfect when he had it.

GRH 10-22-2018 08:27 AM

My brother had one with a Diamond prepared 280.... boat would run 112-114 with 2 people.... you had to power through the "hop" at around 80.... run it hard to 100 & then you could back off and run 80-85 all day as long as you had fuel & water conditions were amenable....