Notices

How fast w/ NA power?

Old 09-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How fast w/ NA power?

It seems most fast boats are running big power with the use of turbos and blowers. So how fast are some of you naturally aspirated guys running and what motor? I'll start with my 1997 23' WPM cat running a hand build (by me) 598" pumped gas, single carb solid roller motor. To date my best GPS speed is 112 MPH. With "x" dim tweaks and some prop testing I feel 115+ will be a reality!! So how fast are some of you other NA guys running?
Craig
Attached Thumbnails How fast w/ NA power?-105_0544.jpg   How fast w/ NA power?-104_0477.jpg   How fast w/ NA power?-105_0538.jpg  

Old 09-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How fast w/ NA power?

is that picture from hardy dam, consumers beach. your sounds like it will go 115!! nice ride
Old 09-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Registered

Yes that is consumers cove on a Friday afternoon!! Where are all of the fast NA guys?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig
Grats
You should be very proud, I know that I would be!!Not every one can build their own engine and get it to run like yours. My 26' cat with the single blown Nickerson motor only ran 107.. Nice going!!
Now that you have all winter with plenty of time, what are you going to do for an oncore?
Proud of you!!
Les/eliminator219
Old 09-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

47 was best when it was NA.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

Hyper,
What do you mean "when you were NA"? Did you go to a blower or turbo on that 4.3? Just curious. What is your new top end speed?

Les,
Thank you for the kind words. Believe it or not when you let me drive your Howard a few years back it had some influence on my decision to go to a cat. As for an encore I just plan on milking as much speed and performance as possible with the motor currently in the boat. I have to try a 2" shorty and see what that does and a lot of props. If the 2" shorty doesn't work it will be a matter of putting in spacers and seeing if somewhere between standard and 2" shortie is the ticket. My goal is a consistent 115, which is only 3 more MPH so I feel pretty confident I will get it there!! The motor does run great and I will probably leave it alone or maybe just lean the carb out slightly to help clean up my sootted transom a little. I hesitate to do too much for risk of getting a little lean on long WOT runs. Hey, I can live with a 5 min. cleaning of the transom after each outing if it means I can hammer on it with less worries.

By the way Les, do you still have shorties for sale?

Craig
Old 09-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

cool! I remember seeing Hustlers team boat at the last Thunder marine poker run in 1995, it had big ci mills with tunnel rams I think the boat was a 40 footer it had stickers that said life begins at 100!!!
Old 09-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Registered

Hyper,
What do you mean "when you were NA"? Did you go to a blower or turbo on that 4.3? Just curious. What is your new top end speed?

The Baja is on the bottle.

No idea, speedo only goes to 55.

Will try to get the radar gun out there next time. Only had it out 4 or 5 times this year
Old 09-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyperBaja

The Baja is on the bottle.

(
Now that is the funniest thing I have read in a while juicing up the 4.3

ok... N/A power. I run a 18' powerplay, alpha drive ( low drive height), alittle over 3000 lbs. Home built sbc 383, solid roller, 110 octane. best on gps so far has been 77 mph with a cracked labbed prop Slapped the motor in and ran it, no tuning yet Still running the cracked prop LOL! . the boats been sitting in storage since july, no time and in the mood for a different rig
Old 09-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Registered

Craig
anyway good luck! why not try your hand at helping your friend with the blown engine that came with your boat? May give you a whole new outllook on boating..
I sold the shorties along with the bravos at the Chicago Boat Show. I sold them to a guy from Minn. I seen some time ago that they were for sale. If needed I can look up his number, I think his name is Gary and he has a Hustler. Im sure one of the guys on this thread knows him..
Les

Quick Reply: How fast w/ NA power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.