Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Canadian Money? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87693-canadian-money.html)

CAP071 09-27-2004 07:16 PM

Canadian Money?

Ok I'm headed to Canada Tomorrow. I was told don't exchange my money, just use my credit card for everything. and if need be just pay in American money in an emergency. I'm only going until Friday, so they say don't get all caught up in exchanging $$

GLH 09-27-2004 07:20 PM

Re: Canadian Money?

yup

buckknekkid 09-27-2004 07:37 PM

exchange it at a bank ,, where ya goin
? :drink:

CAP071 09-27-2004 07:39 PM

Headed across the border for a few days. :drink: Since my Florida trip was rained out :D

BonnieOutlaw 09-27-2004 07:43 PM

We've done that more than once and never had a problem.

rainmn 09-27-2004 09:19 PM

Good advice, except for at bars. I'd get some Canadian $$ for that activity, unless you run a tab and pay with a card.
My buddies and I go up to Mt. Tremblant every year snowboarding. While out drinking one night (And paying cash with American $$) one of us gave it some thought...
How does the bartender take your American $$, subtract the cost of the round, and give you the right change in Candian $$. The next morning, we realized they didn't. We were getting screwed.
Say the round was $20 Canadian, and you paid with $50 American. We were getting back $30 Canadian in change.
Right now, that $50 US is worth $63.67 Canadian, so that example should have gotten us $43.67 Canadian in change, not $30.
After we figured that out, we put the US $$ away, and just went to the ATM for bar money.
Maybe that bar was a bad example, but when your drunk, currency conversion isn't the easiest mental task. :D

glassdave 09-27-2004 09:49 PM

well . . if your going up there for the same reason i go up there your only gonna need one dollar bills . . . lots of 'em :D :D

Canada Jeff 09-28-2004 06:36 AM

We don't have one dollar bills, hell we don't have two dollar bills.

This question has an easy answer, what is your credit card offering in exchange rate, compared to a bank? Obviousely go with the better rate.

Rainmn, yah Tremblant is a top world resort, and it cost it too, but that sucks that the bar tender didn't play by the rules. Thats the kinds $hit that pushes people away. In another twist, when we cross the boarder, in some bars we have paid in Canadian dollars, they make the exchange, but give us U/S bills in return at the Canadian amount!!

Our dollar is climbing some, last I check we we 78 cents to your dollar. Analists say we will see 80 before the years end. Don't ask me why.

fund razor 09-28-2004 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff

Our dollar is climbing some, last I check we we 78 cents to your dollar. Analists say we will see 80 before the years end. Don't ask me why.

I don't know either, but it has something to do with Tim Hortons.

I hope I never have to see an analist. :D

Fountain38SC 09-28-2004 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave
well . . if your going up there for the same reason i go up there your only gonna need one dollar bills . . . lots of 'em :D :D

Ahhh, a connoisseur of the Canadian ballet :drink: :drink: