Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87773-fountain-help.html)

THATS IT 09-28-2004 08:52 PM

Fountain Help

I Recently Purchased A 98 35, Fountain, 500 Hp's That Has Extension Boxes. Its A Great Boat...but Heres The Deal:

1) When Ever I Take Off, Just Be For Getting Up On Plane. I Throw A Rooster Tail And The Rpms Go Way Up Then Finally The Props Seem To Grab And Were Off. No Matter If I Throw The Throttles On The Dash Quickly Or Slowly.
It's Kinda Embarrassing, One May Think I'm Taking Off With My Drives Out!
Is This Due To The Boxes? The Props Are 4 Blade Hydros Lab Finished.
1 Is Marked 31p The Other Is 32p.
Could This Be Right?

2) Docking This Boat Sucks!!! Backing Into A Slip Is No Problem But Trying To Pull Up To A Pier ( Parallel ) And Try To Manure Over To It,forget It! I Have Tried Every Possible Way To Over Come This But No Luck. Btw I'm Not A Rookie At This Either.

Is This Because Of The Boxes ?
Please Help So I Don't Look Like A Ass Coming And And Going!

Joe

Waterfoul 09-28-2004 09:28 PM

Re: Fountain Help

The boxes shouldn't have that much effect on docking... not sure what to tell you on this point. It's probably the beak catching some wind or something :D Sorry, couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Jonas 09-28-2004 09:29 PM

no i dont think so... talk to too old he just sold one that had boxes,,
if you are spinnin 31/32 are u kidding??? diff size props>>?? tabs down drives tucked and ease it up.
if you are spinnin those props hwat do u have for power 800's>? 700's?? 600's??
i have good power in my 35 spinin 31 5 blades and it takess a sec to get on plane.

Donzi Corleone 09-28-2004 09:31 PM

Ditto Too Old.......As for the pitch deal I,ve never heard of that application....I think someone swapped one out for some unknown reason.

US1 Fountain 09-28-2004 09:48 PM

Only way I can get on plane w/o breaking loose is to limit the rpm's no higher than 3000. Once the boat starts to climb on top, then the tabs come up. Then drives out.
Should have the same props pitch. Props can be repitched up or down, so you may have had 2 different pitched props sent in and they were matched when labbed. If you know who labbed them, might be worth a call with the numbers stamped into the outside of the barrel on hand to see what was done.
My boat was a PAIN to dock at 1st, ecspecially in reverse. I switched the props to rotate outwards. Night and day difference.

Marginmn 09-28-2004 09:49 PM

Well, I had a 1999 35 classic that took about 2 seconds to come on plane and was considering putting on extension boxes to get a little more speed. I was told the following by a former test driver for Fountain:

"If you put the boxes on a stepped 35 you "MIGHT" get a few more MPH on the top end but it will suck coming up on plane, your handling will be worse, and it will be especially hard to dock. If the 35's worked better with extension boxes then you can be sure that Reggie would have kept putting them on more than the few boats that he experimented with."

So I never put them on mine. If I were in your situation I think that I would try to borrow a set of 5 blade Hydromotives to see if that helps you get on plane. You might also consider changing the rotation of your props. If neither of those work then consider running without the boxes like the other 99.9% of the 35 classics out there. It's a great boat without them - I just sold mine to look for something a little bigger.

blownincome 09-29-2004 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Too Old
That IS the boat I sold. I'm a little taken back that the props are stamped as two different pitches. The previous owner claimed they were labbed 31's. They had prop locks on them which I never removed to look at the pitch stamps.

Fred do you want me to ask Jimmy ???aboutThe prop pitch??It Always would blow out coming on plane not like he is describing maybee its a salt water thing?? ( like you said nurse it a bit) but the pay back was 5 mph extra on top end! I have 25 merc 3 blades and mine,, will blow out a bit on take off...
Bob

throttleup 09-29-2004 08:21 AM

On the 35' Fountain the props should be spinning outward. Turning in on this boat makes this boat a bit squirly. Check the props for numbers stamped on them, other than the Hydromotive stamp in hub area of the prop. If there is a numer stamped on the can in between the blades. this will possibly tell us who labbed the props.

Julie

Ran-Dom 32 09-29-2004 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just purchased a '99 35' Classic 2 weeks ago - HP 500's my props are turning in but there labbed (by T-UP) 28 Bravo's - no blow out what-so ever - try a set of B1's my .02

THATS IT 09-29-2004 09:33 PM

Thanks For Everyones Input.
I Just Went Out And Double Checked The Stamped Numbers On The Props And Are As Follows: Port Side He14331bp
Starboard Side He14332bp
This Number Is Stamped On The Can Like Julie Said But I Can't Find Any Other Numbers.

One Thing I Will Try, Is Getting On Plane With The Tabs Down. I Always Leave Them Up, Unless Its Rough Water. And Of Course Drives In. But I Really Don't Think That Will Improve The Blow Out.
Us1 Fountain....your Right..reverse Is Real Bad.

What Is Involved In Changing Rotation? Other Than Switching The Props.

Too Old..... The Boat Is Running Great!!! We Love It!!! We Put About 15 Hours On It Since We Last Seen You.we Went To The Cambridge Races Over Weekend And Had A Blast. We Get Alot Of Compliments On Her. Btw, We Kept The Nameno Limits

Blownincome... Any Info You Have On The Boat Would Be Great Feel Free To Call Me On My Cell Anytime 443-250-8029

Joe