Notices

Old 11-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skype

Thinking about trying it......how many here use it now? Good....Bad?

http://www.skype.com
Old 11-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Skype

How do you get incoming calls?

Jon
Old 11-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Phantom,

Use it religously here in Iraq. Call home to the fiancee twice a day on it. Just down load the software off the site.
Get a screen name. You can use the new phone dialing options to call a land line or use to call someone else who has it with a screen name.
It costs like 2 cents a minute for me to call on a land line and its free to another computer.
It has a couple of telephones at the the bottom one for calling and one for hanging up.

Its great!!

Shawn
Old 11-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Audiofn,

To answer you can hit the green phone or double click the middle of the name its showing in the midddle of the screen to answer. Or you can left click on the middle of the screen and scroll down to answer.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:02 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

One more thing .

To add some one to your calling list for computer to computer talk. You have to send them a request. It basically sends a message to this person asking if its ok if they talk or add you to their calling list.

You scroll down to their name on your contact list and and right click and scroll down to ( send request).
Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

If your computer does not have one.

I left that small bit of info out. A cheap headset with mike is needed. Headset to keepo the conversation private. Don't want them to hear the dirty talking going on.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you want to use the option to call a land line you have to go their website and prepay for miutes. Its real cheap. Once you become a member you sign in: Pick the country and fill in the credit card option. It give you 3 different prepay plans.

If you have high speed, its no problem talking. I have satellite dish in Iraq and the woman has road runner back home. I'm sure you can use down to 56K, but their is like a 2 to 4 second delay with that slow of speed.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:45 AM
Registered

A friend of mine from Denmark swears by it.....he is always talking on the thing to his friends and family in Denmark Sweden and Norway.....I have used it a time or two to talk to friends in Cali....works great.....and the best part is its free.....I think you have to have a high speed connection though to make it work properly....the computer has a ringer so when someone calls you it sounds like a telephone ringing......I think you need it Nort....
Old 11-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

Been using it for out of state and international calls. Free is free,and voice quality is far superior to any phone I use. I also use the conferance feature and when the person at the other end can't speak (for whatever reason) we use the IM feature. I haven't used Skype out (to a phone yet).