Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   6.0 Powerstroke diesel programmers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87924-6-0-powerstroke-diesel-programmers.html)

Neverfastenuf 10-27-2004 12:31 PM

Re: 6.0 Powerstroke diesel programmers

Joe, are the faulty readings on the Edge random??? The monitor on my DMAX is within 25 degrees of actual. This is with a mechanical gauge also. I know Edge has had some probe problems, we have exchanged numerous items. I have only tested my truck as I wanted to see how accurate the monitor was.

I am interested to hear your results. It would be BAD to have that much error in temp readings.

Thanks, Sam

Jassman 10-27-2004 12:56 PM

The eror that it might be off is on the light side, on one of my trucks it is off 75 degrees, I have the Attitude set at 1400 and am seeing a little over 1325, and besides the Attitude defuels once it hits 1400, so you are safe all the way around. I have had 7 Edges, from 01, have had since brand new on the Duramax with 120k and 80k on the Powerstroke, with little or no problems. Thats a hell of a track record, and no im not a beta tester, or do I sell them, I just a normal level headed good looking :rolleyes: :D guy. I love their products and really love the support I get from the factory, its hard to beat.

I leave mine in level 3 majority of the time, 5 on smoke, 1400 degrees, defuel on all shift levels. shifts great. The only time you have a problem is taking off in level 4, and definatly 5, tranny has to learn these areas, and its not worth recking your tranny. Just drive normal knowing you can shift into 4 and 5 above 45mph. Good luck, thanks jeff

Waterfoul 10-27-2004 05:01 PM

I can personally vouch for Buck doing a 4 GEAR BURNOUT without moving an inch!! Left two holes in the pavement, a pile of rubber behind each wheel, scads of rubber stuck to the rear rocker panals, and a HUGE cloud of smoke!!!! What a rush!!

Oh, and when doing sprints up hill and coming upon the county's finest, simply pull into the nearest golf course club house parking lot. :D

Warlocker 10-27-2004 06:12 PM

I am running the Banks six gun tuner and speed loader with upgraded exhaust.It has added a hell of alot more power and it automatically de-fuels when EGTS get too high or when tranny slip is detected or boost levels go too high.Customer service is number one and I believe this is the safest on the market.Don't forget all the speed records in the books from banks.No other manufacture can say that.My .2 cents WARLOCKER!!

vette131 10-27-2004 08:26 PM

starting with 05 6.0 trucks, ford is installing an internal chip that cannot be erased. this chip will monitor all program changes,boost pressure & injector fuel flow. if any violations are detected a code will be set that will be permanent. the pcm will need to be replaced to clear the code & pcm purchases may be monitored also. the build date for this change hasn't been released yet, but when i hear about it i'll update ya'll. this info was given from a senior ford engineer at a training class i attended 3 weeks ago.make friends with your diesel tech!!!!

boot 10-27-2004 09:03 PM

MY experience with Banks : I got my first one around ,,,,,, 1983 or so ..... It was pretty cool . Of course it was the only thing you could get . ATS came along and blew it way ! Once electronic motors came along EVERYTHING changed ! :rolleyes: I have not had a good experience with Banks in 3-4 years .... I have not herd of anyone else that has either . No one in the industry that "I" know , wants to sell Banks .....
I do still sell their products if you MUST have them , but they are by far living on a name that is fading fast .... It is a shame , cause that man could do much better . The last Banks kit I agreed to be involved in was a complete kit . Ram air , chip , exhaust , big head waist gate etc.
IT HAD EXACTLY THE SAME POWER AND RAN THE SAME EXACT SPEED AS OUR BONE STOCK 7.3 CREW CAB !!! :mad: The guy was not so proud ...... All I could say was , I told you so ..... We just did a little 1 on 1 the other day . Guy "A" had a full banks kit on a new 6 liter ford . it was either $4500 or $4800 ,I forget . I did his buddys truck , (same truck ) with edge , mbrp exhaust , and an airfilter , (NOT AN AIR INTAKE ) . $1800 :D We blew his doors off ! :D :D

The trans comand does NOTHING for around $400 . The after market turbos for 99-03, 7.3 do NOTHINGfor a few thousand ...... And I do not beleive their intercooler is any better then stock . There chips or power modules are VERY over rated . BUt they are "SAFE" ????? I have had NO LUCK with customer service or tech and I am a dealer . I have had at least a dozen customers in the last 2 years tell me how there banks stuff (they bought elsewhere) either didn't work , quite working ,or one guy even fryed his computer , & banks will not return their money . Just keep replacing the stuff . the guy with the bad computer got 4 chips that didn't do squat till they fryed his truck . Cost him $1000 to fix it . The last a herd ,his lawyer was on the case for 3 months .....

Hey Jassman, Besides being a normal, level headed, good looking guy , (with a cool boat ) :drink: How did you figure you are of by 75 degrees ?

waterfoul , I hear Buck is loaded ! He can afford new tires every weekend ! :D

Sam, I have always thought thay were low compared to what I have known to be acurate from year of experience . You get to know each brand of truck and what to expect from each computer code . Not until now has it bothered me enough to spend weeks testing it in every way we could on 3 different trucks . These tests that I know for sure were done on experimental boxes for the 7.3's ......... I have gone the distance only on only 1 6.0 liter . We were towing about 12,000 lbs ,set on about (claimed) 100hp .... I couldnt' get it to show more then 1200 degrees on the attitude . WHen I stuck a gauge on it with no load , we got 1250 with ease ,EMPTY !!! :eek: MAkes you go HUMMMMMM ......
Edge is definatley good people to talk to . I am just kind of wondering here . Also I did have issues when testing the Dmax boxes for the LLY motor . I asked 3 different people at edge and got 3 different answers .... :(
Actually , now I think about it , I have a dmax out there towing a 36' race car trailer and never sees more then 1000 degrees even on the higher settings .....

krumsnacker, edge is not availible for 7.3 yet . If it is ,it just came out ,and I would stay away from that one ! They work great on everything BUT that ..... You would love a Western diesel Quad power chip ! Off ,low ,medium ,high power . switch on the fly ! depending on your exact computer code , it would top out around 100-125 hp . And I would bet BIG money that their numbers are as close to acurate as you can get . A 50 hp Western diesel with kill an 80 hp super chip ,as an example . Get yourself a WD quad chip , MBRP exhaust (4" ONLY) , and a good air filter . For about 1/3 a banks cost and you'll SPANK UM !

By the way , the last one I did ,just like your truck ,the guy called me with a 4 MPG increase set on 80 hp !! He drives 8 hours to work ! He should know .... I need a brake now . My fingers are falling off .

I knew I should have stayed in the shop tonight .... :D

boot 10-27-2004 09:08 PM

vette131 , thanks for the info . I was wondering when I was goign to get new stuff from edge for the 05's .... Banks has it out , but you know how I feel about that ..... :rolleyes:

The fix should be easy , just include resistors in the wiring harness like we did for the 7.3's to fool the map sensor and keep the check engine light off . Since you are installing all add on now AFTER the computer ,instead of IN the computer , it sholdn't be such a big deal . OF cousre those "programmer " thingys would eb a problem ..... :D

vette , where you from ? DO you work for ford ? Joe

jordy 10-27-2004 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Warlocker
Don't forget all the speed records in the books from banks.No other manufacture can say that.My .2 cents WARLOCKER!!

Banks can't run with this big dog:

http://www.riverratlife.com/keith/dr...gtruck-new.jpg

And I don't even like Cummins, but an under 8 second diesel is something to look up to. Banks doesn't have that. They're still at the 11 second mark.

jordy 10-27-2004 10:56 PM

Or maybe this one:

http://www.riverratlife.com/keith/dr...k/dscn2435.jpg

This truck, letting off at half track, will spank anything Banks has done for years.

JC 10-27-2004 11:13 PM

I have a 05 F350 with the Edge / attitude, I set it a power level 3, smoke at 5 (unless showing off) and defuel. I installed it when the truch had a 100 miles on it and I am towing 16K. All I will say is you won't want to drive the truck ever again in stock mode. The nice thing about the attitude is you can change the hp from stock,1,2,3,4,5 on the fly, it also gives you EGT read outs...My first third day I owned the truck we towed 500 miles to LOTO, have alot more power then my V-10, with double the milage.