Notices

26 vs 28 Daytona

Old 09-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 vs 28 Daytona

Easy question ... besides the obvious length, what are the differences between these 2? Are the bottom designs similar/the same? Cabin size? Cockpit size?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

Default Re: 26 vs 28 Daytona

The 26 has alot less freeboard. The 28 is available in tall-deck which allows for a modest cabin/cuddy area. The 28 is big enough to handle twin engines while the 26 does not. The 28 is a much bigger boat than the 26. I would guess that the bottom design is the same small twin step that Eliminator utilizes on most of their bottoms. If you have a choice, the bigger the better.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered

bscotti don't tell me your selling the Skater to buy a daytona. Buy a 28 skater instead.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not by my choice! We're looking for a boat with a cabin for the little one. I'm so in love with the Skater's handling, that I really don't want to go vee. If Skaters only had a small cabin on the 28 I'd buy one no questions asked!
Old 09-28-2004, 06:36 PM
Registered

If your looking for a cabin go the tall deck 28. The 26 does not have a cabin to speak of. The bottoms are totally different. Even the new 28 (canopy) has the same bottom as the old one. They just changed the top half. The 26 is really 26' 11" the 28 is 27' 11" So only 1' in length difference. Big difference is in width, the 28 has a 9' beam. If you are looking for any speed go twin engines.

I have a 26 & close friend has 28. I think the ride of the 28 is a little better but friend with 28 thinks mine might ride better so who knows. The 28 leans to the outside when turning at speed, 26 has to be at a higher speed before it leans to the outside at speed. 26 with less HP will go same speed as 28 but that should not have been a surprise.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Registered

28 seams to have a little more spray coming from tunnel into your face at lower speeds in the rough water compared to 26
Old 09-29-2004, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Turbo,

Thanks for the info! I have to say that I'm concerned about the outside lean when turning. My 24 Skater leans outward, but only at 20-30mph. After that, it leans inward. What speeds for the Daytonas? From the pics I've seen, the 26 cabin looks OK, with 2 small lounges and a berth. Is there just little to no headroom? Is there a porpoise range for either model?

Thanks
Brian
Old 09-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Cat & Mice

bscotti,

I have a 28LP and I find the cabin pretty roomy. I am 6'5" and can crawl around OK down there. I have a family of 5 and we have spent a few nights in the boat and it was fine. Not as much head room as my old 28 Vee but the width really makes a difference.

I have only been in one 26 and it was pretty tight for me but maybe a smaller guy would be OK.

As far as the handling I have been really happy. It does lean to the outside but it has never done anything wierd to me. I have alsways been suprosed at how well it has reacted to advasive turns. I have had some close ones at it alsway brings me home. It doesn't seem to lean as much at high speeds.

I agree with Turbo that it does spray from the tunnel ever once in awhile at low speeds. It has never done it over 45mph.

Anyway there is my .02

Pyle

BTW-The Tall deck has much larger cabin but I think you will need some big power to make it go fast!

Old 09-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So, it leans to the outside even at, say, 50mph? That's wierd. Is it an un-nerving lean? I agree that a 28 TD would be great for cabin room, but, as you all have mentioned, it'll take big power to go fast and they're a bit out of my price range. I've seen a few pics of 26 cabins and it looks OK, though the lounges are a bit funky.Guess they're more like recliners than couches? I think a 26 with a hot engine is just the ticket. It's probably time to go check them out in person.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Registered

My 26 is a walkthru so the only experence I have with the cabin is when I went & looked at them before I bought mine at dealer show in vegas. Compared to the 28 the cabin is only for kids, head room is nonexistance. I could not sit in the seat but I can sit in the seat of the 28. As far as the lean, it is a relative term. Remeber I am comparing being in my boat & then either riding or driving the 28 in same weekend/day. I have & am thinking (every time I break something) about buying a 28 for the advantage of having 2 motors & drives. I figure I could get a 28 with 2 milder motors & still run the speed I am with my single motor. Does it take more HP then the low deck? Yea but I bet not a lot more. Friends 28 was built with 2 - 454mpi (550 hp???)& m1 procharges & it would run every day 97 gps mph.

The 26 has no porpoise at all, the 28 at low speed cruise (26-30 mph) has ever so slight porpoise, most peope would not even notice it.

Quick Reply: 26 vs 28 Daytona

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.