Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   staggered engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87991-staggered-engines.html)

mcraymond3 10-03-2004 08:32 PM

Re: staggered engines

I like staggered better.

Reed Jensen 10-03-2004 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by glassdave
anybody have pics of that setup? i have heard Pat W. talk about it on the board here and it sounds very interesting.

I think I have a few pics.... lemme see........ :D

mcollinstn 10-03-2004 10:05 PM

Oh, a staggered driveline (forward motor) won't bolt up properly to an Imco box due to lack of inside support bearing. Would require custom jackshaft.

Staggered driveline will work just dandy with a Stellings box.

Not exactly sure how it is handled with the forward motor and the ITS box...

At any rate, it shouldn't be a huge deal to make any of the three work with a staggered setup.

The Weissmann inline setup boasts some even cooler techno points. The "reversed" engine cives a true counterrotation of the crankshafts which truly cancels the engine's torque moment. Most conventional sterndrive installations still have the engines both rotating the same direction, even though the props spin opposite. The weissmann allows standard engine rotation (which allows standard camshafts, standard windage trays, standard oilpans, standard piston pin offsets, etc.) yet delivers the power off the "wrong end" of the motor for true counterrotation.

Also the transmission and drive setup REALLY let you lower the engines all the way to the fiberglass for some record setting low CG ability.

Aside from that, the Weissmann drives are the just cool. I'd love a pair.

BUT - the Weissmann setup adds a full foot or more between the two motors, making it an application that can only be considered sensible in a raceboat. First, you still have the transom hardware for the drive inputs. The "belt dies" of the rear motor must be forward enough to clear that crap. Then you got bellhousings on the motor and then the weissmann U drive and Z drive combo thingy. This booger has GOT to eat up at least a foot between the bellhousings, maybe more. Then you got a bellhousing on the back of the front motor and it goes forward from there. This is a LOOOONG setup. And routing exhaust thru the transom would be "interesting".

I think a more conventional TWIST on the reversed motor idea is to simply turn one motor around "wrong way" and use a snout coupler similar to those used on some of the old Vee drive drag boats. This would allow you to still snuggle the motors closer together, cram the rear motor against the transom plate, and pull the backseat bulkhead all the way up to the front motor's abbreviated bellhousing. No need to leave room for belt maintenance and power steering, etc. Sumpin to think about anyhow..

glassdave 10-03-2004 10:12 PM

thanks Reed, i have never seen a pic of that. actually kinda looks like a pulling tractor in that pic :D. that is some serious access to the motors with that setup :cool:

Reed Jensen 10-03-2004 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some other pics of the drive system.... cool stuff......... :D

Reed Jensen 10-03-2004 10:27 PM

I think taking the power off the engine at the nose would add just as much space as all the Weismann doo-dads.... then you have to pull the engine to change a belt... and how do you hook up the trans?.... and how do you drive 500 horsepower through a keyway and the front of the crank... I guess you could have a special crank made... but talk about huge money...... :eek:

Ron P 10-03-2004 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reed, they are back to back, one engine is flipped around. Nothing fancy.

Looks like Nigel likes the drives too.

Reed Jensen 10-03-2004 10:52 PM

Yeah.... I've also noticed that Teague stickers are absent from his boat...... anyone know the story?............ :confused:

Reed Jensen 10-03-2004 10:55 PM

Quote Ron P: Reed, they are back to back, one engine is flipped around. Nothing fancy.

I know that.... MCollinstn was talking about taking the power off the nose of the crank... not me........ :eek:

Ron P 10-03-2004 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
I know that.... MCollinstn was talking about taking the power off the nose of the crank... not me........ :eek:

My bad. :bunny: