Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Freeway Dually questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/87995-freeway-dually-questions.html)

CBR 10-03-2004 12:40 AM

Freeway Dually questions

I am thinking about buying a dually. Some dumb questions from me for those in the know:

1) when the freeway says no trucks or buses in the left lane does this include duallys and or duallys pulling boats?

2) when road signs say no commerical vehicles does this include trucks with "....racing or XYZ.com" painted on them

3) can you drive duallys onto beach sand effectively by deflating the tires, and how hard is it to reflate the inner tires.

Thanks from dually clueless

mama tryed 10-03-2004 05:37 AM

Re: Freeway Dually questions

[B]As a Whole, the answers to your Questions are going to vary from State to State and for that matter from Cop to Cop on how they interpret the law.. I will tell you that I have never been stopped for running the Left Lane while Towing,,just use Common Sense. Don't be Holding up Traffic, make your Pass and move back over!!
Commercial Vehicle laws again vary from State to State, but mainly are controlled by Two Rules,,, Gross G.V.W. and if your "For Hire"

The Beach???? Mine is only Two W.D.,,, I'm not going near it!! :D

bouyhunter 10-03-2004 05:54 AM

I loved my dually.

Never had any problems on the highway, towing was fine, and I was wearing signs for my construction Co.
Of course, I wasn't driving over the limit ( well, once, spent a night in jail for that one - long, ridiculous story...).
I agree with "mama tryed" - it really depends on the state and the cop.
They probably COULD bust you, but if you aren't really doing anything wrong or endangering anyone it's probably a non-issue.
You WILL drink a lot of petrol in that. mine was a 2000 GMC w/454. About 6-8 mpg - but I was pretty loaded down.
I can't help ya with the sand thing - not too sure about that one.

105mph_38_2003 10-03-2004 06:23 AM

I go in sand all the time(Galveston Beach) and have never had any problems...I have had my dually in the nastiest clay/sand/mud mix without any problems as well. The inner tire valves are lined up with the outer tire valves so airing them up can be tricky but is not really a pain. You planning on getting 4wd?

MarkSmith 10-03-2004 08:06 AM

You should always tow in the right lane(driving lane). The left lane is called the "passing lane". Go to the left lane to pass and get back over. This should apply to cars also. This is the law in Illinois but never enforced because you are always in traffic.

Get 4-wheel drive, period!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Smith

CBR 10-03-2004 08:28 AM

Thanks for your responses. Sometimes I used to "pass" 15 cars in a row in my old GTO, hence the question about the left lane. Never do anything like that in the WS6 of course. <gg> Good news about the tire valves, makes sense. Yes, it will be a diesel 4*4 Chevy 3500 if I decide to go ahead.

Any issues with the first year? Duramax/Allison in 2001? I don't like the new front headlight design and 2001 trucks are cheaper anyway!

PatriYacht 10-03-2004 09:41 AM

Make sure you get a diesel. I get 11 mpg towing the Black Thunder. That's as much as a gas truck unloaded. It'll get 18-19 on the highway.

articfriends 10-03-2004 11:05 AM

Ive had 2002 duramax and now have 2004,never any glitches in 70k miles of driving them. I run a transmission shop and talk often with the service guys at different dealers,a few of the 2001 duramaxes had a few injector probs and trans solenoid probs but they have long worked it out and you should have no problems from design flaws or early runs,Smitty
P.S.-I ran my 6800 lb duramax 4 dr/4wd shortbox down the dragstrip last weekend,only mod is hypertech power programmer,15.65 in quarter mile at 86 mph,a guy had new dodge diesel 4dr/4wd-17.38,NO COMPARISON!!

CBR 10-03-2004 12:02 PM

Wow arcticfriends, that is very impressive!

More questions folks: standard tires work okay on sand AND snow? Which are your preferred tires for all around capability? Will be towing the Sonic back and forth to Florida, driving on the beach, driving in snow.

caferacer 10-03-2004 12:25 PM

Michelin Ltx highway tread, What a difference they made on my 02 duramax