Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to. >

Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to.

Notices

Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Yes, they use them many places......not where I live (yet) but in OC. Doesn't matter who's driving......the ticket goes to the registered owner.

So then every RENTAL car out there is going to be getting a lot of tickets.....?

Cars don't speed, people do. If they don't have a picture of the driver, how does the police explain to the owner who got mailed a ticket that he was speeding or ran a red light when he was in another State or?....how many stolen cars will this happen to only to mail the owner the ticket...instead of catching the car bandit, they mail the stolen car owner a speeding ticket. That is a laugh...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They re-wrote the laws to make it like a parking ticket so that they don't have to know who was driving. There are two of them on I-295 I go past every day, morning and night. You can see the car sitting on the sholder (they even have orange traffic cones in front of them so they get the same space each time). Everyone slows down when they come up to them, then resume their normal speed. You have to be pretty unobsurvent not to notice them and get a ticket. They are mainly after tourists/transients, if they catch too many locals they get a lot of bad press over the "they only want money" line.

-Greg
Old 10-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Madcow
I have a friend who works for the city. I think he said the city only gets 10% of the cash.
Yep. The rest goes to a company out west. Az or Ca. The city is doing it for "safety."

It was bad enough when they did red lights. (Not that I have one single point...or run red lights) but now they have radar on board and will get you for speeding and/or red light.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this would be great too, for taunting the cops, what i like to do is get them right behind me while i am on my bike, and then take off and leave them in the dust. they have never cought me, they never will! ok troutly let's hear your response!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GregP
They re-wrote the laws to make it like a parking ticket so that they don't have to know who was driving. There are two of them on I-295 I go past every day, morning and night. You can see the car sitting on the sholder (they even have orange traffic cones in front of them so they get the same space each time). Everyone slows down when they come up to them, then resume their normal speed. You have to be pretty unobsurvent not to notice them and get a ticket. They are mainly after tourists/transients, if they catch too many locals they get a lot of bad press over the "they only want money" line.

-Greg
Like Greg said, lots of them here in Maryland. They've nailed me once. The problem is, studies have proven that the cameras increase the number of rear end collisions as people slam on their brakes. But Maryland is a Democrat tax me to death state, so apparently revenues count more than safety here.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 10-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 3,017 Likes on 987 Posts

I'm only speaking for California but here is how it works:

1) they have not re-writtin the law yet (it's in the works through legislation) in regards to straight fine amount to the registered owner no matter who's driving the car. It will be in affect that way soon though.

2) Theres a little law called 14604 CVC- It basically states that every car owner needs to insure the driver of their vehicle has a valid Ca. License. It's a misdemeanor if you (the R/O) does not know.

3) The company that most agencies use in California is called "RedFlex". They are located in Arizona. The police send you a ticket in the mail when you are nabbed. If you are not the one driving there is a form that comes with the ticket where you can 'nominate' whoever is driving. That is the time that 14604CVC comes into play.

4) Most Cities only get 10% of the revenue because they have to pay back the contract fee to RedFlex. It is paid over a three to five year period. After the initial installation fees and what not is paid the cities get 100% of the fee. However, most cities actually LOOSE money in the first 3-5 years.

5) Until they change the law (and I doubt they ever will) California will not be using the cameras for speeding citations. This is a speed trap by definition of the California Vehicle Code. You can not measure speed from a fixed location.

6) The license covers and that reflective stuff is ILLEGAL! Look up 5201 (e) of the vehicle code. So basically instead of possibly being in violation of the law while driving, you will be blatantly in violation of the law at all times. That spray stuff says in the ads it's undetectable but buy some and check it out. As soon as the sun hits it a certain way you can see it while you drive down the street.

7) Last but not least...Here's a novel idea: DONT RUN RED LIGHTS!! It's dangerous and if you've ever known someone who's been killed or seriously hurt by a red light runner, you'll agree.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

They just want money. End of story.

So what if you are easier to pick up on laser? They make jammers.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Registered

Thanks Tank! That was great.......good post my brother from another mother!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I'm only speaking for California but here is how it works:

7) Last but not least...Here's a novel idea: DONT RUN RED LIGHTS!! It's dangerous and if you've ever known someone who's been killed or seriously hurt by a red light runner, you'll agree.
I'm sorry if you lost someone in an accident, but you are missing a major material fact.

Not running red lights is a lovely thought and thanks for the driving lesson. What you missed is that they shorten the cycle time of the amber light. I've sat and watched the cycles and they clearly are shortened. People who get hung up on principle bring attorneys to court and get the tickets thrown out for that reason. But most folks like myself aren't going to miss valuable time away from business and pay an attorney to avoid an $80 fine.

I'm pretty right - wing, but it smacks way too much of Big Brother in George Orwell's 1984.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 10-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

When I lived in Pittsburgh I was getting at least one ticket a month from the camera's at the NJ toll booth. They had pics of my tag going through the eazy pass lane with no sticker. Problem is I was never there........the pic showed a nissan sedan with my tag on it while I drive a Dodge truck. Somehow someone had a PA tag that was the same as my PA tag................

Quick Reply: Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.