Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88094-getting-caught-traffic-camera-how-not.html)

IndianaHeat 01-25-2005 04:20 PM

Re: Getting caught by a traffic camera.....how not to.

working in wales. drove from gatwick airport to swansea wales passed one camera ever every 40 k .traffic would speed up then slow down speed up again.

Michael1 01-25-2005 10:18 PM

Tank, wasn't it San Diego that had to shut down their red light camera program for a while, because the yellows were shortened?

Here is an interesting article:

San Diego Red Light Camera Program

Another interesting story:

See Red (How Yellow Times Affect Tickets)

I remember reading in the LA Times that Los Angeles is making $3 million a year from red light cameras, and that removing them would be "too much of a financial burden". Of course, you can't always trust what you read in the LA Times.

If this issue was about safety, then I think every stoplight with a camera should be required to have a count down timer, so drivers know exactly when it is going to turn red. They already have them for pedestrians, so we know it can be done. In fact, why not have this on all intersections?

Better yet, forget the cameras, and just lengthen the yellow at dangerous intersections. Studies have shown this reduces red light running.

Michael

Michael1 01-25-2005 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
As for your your smarta$$ comments: Slow your roll or I'll slap you upside your head with 9 inches of limp d!ck!

Tank, where are you going to get that? :D :D :rolleyes: :p

Michael

thisistank 01-26-2005 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1
Tank, where are you going to get that? :D :D :rolleyes: :p

Michael

I was going to hit 'em three times!! :D :D

It was S.D. that had issues with yellow phasing. The cameras they used were Lockheed martin cameras and were the ones that actually used 35mm cameras that had to be manually changed. They were the first to be installed in Ca. and possibly in the nation. There was definately a trial and error period. They took the old system out and replaced it with the Redflex system.

The reason they don't lengthen the yellow phases is because studies have actually shown that drivers will always push the yellow phase times to it's limit. For example, if you know you have a three second yellow then they push it right to the third second. If you know you have a six second yellow then they push it to the sixth second. The same thing goes with the count down timers, people will always push it right to the last 1/10th of a second even if they can see the timer.

The over phasing of lights is a good thing and does work to a point. However, the same idea applies to this as well. drivers see that there is a delay in traffic lights and they know they can get away with running the light because of the safety factor built in. Usually the over phase is 1 to 3 seconds. You actually get more people running the red on these intersections!

And while I'm on this subject. The whole money thing is B.S. too. As I stated before it is a fact that cities actually LOOSE MONEY in the first three to five years due to contract obligations. Someone made a comment about having the city set up the camera's and run the system. That is not practical. It would be like me saying to a plumber to fly a jet. These systems are technical and require professionals to install and maintain. The company that installs them and maintanes them has no say so in who does or doesn't get the citations, that is the job of police officers who review each citation.

The camera inforcement companies are hired on a contract basis and paid for installation and maintanence. It is important to point out they are hired as a contractor to the cities. Just as an outside street maintinence company or any other company would be hired.

The statement that rear-end collisions are increased is false as well. It is a proven fact, right angle collisions are reduced and rear end collisons are not affected in general.

I just want to express again that I'm not a defender of these camera systems I just thought people would like to know the facts for once on a subject on OSO. It also pisses me off personally that people cant take responsibility for there own actions and are always looking for excuses. I drive all the time. Am I a perfect drive? No. But if I run a red light and get a ticket, well then thats my fault and I deserved it. I don't like the cameras either. They take away the chance I may be able to get away if I'm a second late on a red light. But then again, I try not to run red lights so I don't need to really worry.

O.C.Barry 01-26-2005 12:37 PM

Oh, I get it - You're never wrong! Of course that's contradicted by your comment "As I stated before it is a fact that cities actually LOOSE MONEY in the first three to five years due to contract obligations". Maryland has a contract where the company put in the cameras at their own expense then the company collects a percentage of the gross. Maryland nets a positive cash flow from the very first day a ticket is paid.

As far as your 'limp ....' threat - SPIT IT OUT!

Now, to quote the infamous Rodney King "Can't we all just get along". I accept that the Cali cameras may work differently, but Hang Time and I have both timed the ones here and the timing is different.

thisistank 01-26-2005 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
Hang Time and I have both timed the ones here and the timing is different.

If that is the case, it's bullsh!t to do that and I (as well as any attorney that could potentially rep a driver) would agree there is definately a defense case there.

ofshore 01-26-2005 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank
I just want to express again that I'm not a defender of these camera systems I just thought people would like to know the facts for once on a subject on OSO. .

Hey!! that kind of talk is completely uncalled for!! Why would you want to influence your opinion with the facts? :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

Hang Time 27 01-26-2005 02:22 PM

OSO is all about facts, NOTHING but the facts!!

In fact.......oh nevermind.................