Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Earnhardt Jr Penalty 4 Cursing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88162-earnhardt-jr-penalty-4-cursing.html)

CAP071 10-05-2004 05:22 PM

Earnhardt Jr Penalty 4 Cursing

Penalty for Cursing Drops Earnhardt From First
Team Plans to Appeal After NASCAR Star Penalized 25 Points

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Oct. 5) -- Stock-car driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. was docked 25 points, fined $10,000 and knocked out of first place in NASCAR's premier Nextel Cup series on Tuesday for cursing during a TV interview after his weekend victory.

Asked by a television interviewer Sunday about the significance of his fifth victory in Talladega, Alabama, Earnhardt said, "It don't mean s--- right now. Daddy's won here 10 times."

Now, instead of leading Kurt Busch by 13 points in the Nextel Cup standings, Earnhardt, the son of the late seven-time series champion Dale Earnhardt, trails by 12 with seven races left in the season.

Richie Gilmore, director of competition for Dale Earnhardt Inc., said the team will appeal the decision by the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR).

"This is a huge setback for the entire company," Gilmore said. "We're in a sport that focuses its primary attention on the final 10 races of the season and we're racing against formidable teams for a championship. We're facing a setback from a competition standpoint for something that should be considered a personal foul. We have no choice but to appeal the points portion of the penalty.

Chase Standings

Rank Driver
1 Kurt Busch
2 Dale Earnhardt Jr.
3 Jeff Gordon
4 Mark Martin
5 Matt Kenseth
6 Tony Stewart
7 Ryan Newman
8 Elliott Sadler
9 Jimmie Johnson
10 Jeremy Mayfield

"I think we're the only sport that takes points off of the board after they've been scored. The popularity of this sport is based on colorful personalities and the fact that everyone can relate to these drivers and their emotions. Now, it seems like that's a detriment."

Pointing out that Earnhardt's comments were not made in anger, Gilmore said the team has received hundred of supportive calls from fans.

"This whole incident is going to force everyone in the sport to rethink showing any excitement in what should be a jubilant moment," Gilmore added.

Appeals are heard by a three-person panel selected by NASCAR from the National Stock Car Racing Commission. No date has been set for the appeal.

Earnhardt will still be credited with the 14th victory of his career and fifth at Talladega but, with the points penalty, it's as if he finished fifth on Sunday. Still, he has plenty of time to make up the deficit on Busch, with up to 190 points available at each of the last seven events.

In February, NASCAR president Mike Helton told drivers to be careful with their language on radio and television. Less than a month later, Johnny Sauter was fined and lost 25 points for swearing during a radio interview following a second-tier Busch Series race in Las Vegas.

Ron Hornaday Jr. also was hit with a fine and the loss of 25 points after cursing during a live radio interview in June during a Busch race at Dover.

NASCAR spokesman Mike Zizzo said Earnhardt's penalty was consistent with those penalties.

"NASCAR President Mike Helton made it clear back in February at the drivers meeting at Rockingham that we, as a family sport, were taking this very seriously and adhering to FCC guidelines," Zizzo said referring to the federal government agency that oversees radio and television broadcasting. "The timing is unfortunate for Dale Jr., but NASCAR also made it clear to the competitors that we would police the last 10 races just like we did the first 26."

Earnhardt could immediately be reached for comment on the penalties.

10/05/04 10:10 EDT

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

CAP071 10-05-2004 05:23 PM

Re: Earnhardt Jr Penalty 4 Cursing

Oh by the way all he said was Sh*t/ aka PooPie

cig1988 10-05-2004 05:29 PM

That's BS! Great race

57chevy 10-05-2004 05:38 PM

:mad:

BonnieOutlaw 10-05-2004 05:41 PM

You've got to be sh!tting me!

Bastages. :hothead:

mopower 10-05-2004 05:44 PM

WTF :hothead:

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON FOOTBALL , BASEBALL , AND BASKETBALL "pro affleats" :rolleyes: (if you get my drift) and what THEY get away with. :hothead: :hothead:

CAP071 10-05-2004 05:45 PM

THis is total BS. :mad: :hothead: :mad: :hothead:

cig1988 10-05-2004 05:49 PM

Maybe if he said the "F" word but ****?

SNGLSTACK 10-05-2004 06:15 PM

good thing offshore doesnt penalize for cursing :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gmhdfan 10-05-2004 06:19 PM

Rules are rules!!! The only way out would have been to give back the points taken away from the other drivers. Or have a 7 second delay or something. I'm old school so NASCAR doesn't excite me like it use to. Look what happened to Jimmy Spencer when the punk Kurt Busch egged him on to hit him. I always thought Jimmy was the last of the non PC NASCAR drivers when being interviewed. It was a no win situation for NASCAR, so stick with the RULES and pay the price. Half the people would be pissed either way. It sure has come a long way from good ol boys running moonshine to the new and improved NASCAR. I only wished that my NEXTEL phones would work!!!! :rolleyes: