Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   more detailed Coyote history... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88178-more-detailed-coyote-history.html)

Chatim Racing 10-06-2004 12:10 PM

Re: more detailed Coyote history...

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all of the kind words everybody - glad you all enjoyed this piece of history. Here's a couple more I forgot to post last night - these are of boat #2 which was my dad's personal pleasure boat.

Milord 10-06-2004 12:45 PM

Wow, awesome post man, thanks for sharing! The old days must have been cool to be around the scene.

You can certainly see where Sonic came from looking at the pics!

fund razor 10-06-2004 12:57 PM

Yeah.... thanks.

Those pics were great.

O.C.Barry 10-06-2004 01:11 PM

Thanks so much. I was the one who asked. I couldn't help noticing the one boat was sponsored by Stan Brunner Yacht Sales. I bought my first Cig. from Stan. Stan passed away a long time ago. He was a piece of work, I never did get a trailer title.

I later bought the '34 Coyote 'Color Me Gone' from Nardi Carriega. I should have kept that boat!

lucky strike 10-06-2004 02:16 PM

Chatim

In picture 20 the boat in front of your fathers is my 28 Cigarette.

I think I have a picture just like that,I took it from the hotel room.

Great shots, I raced P class back then. That picture is from 1979.

Lucky Strike

JUSTONCE 10-06-2004 02:25 PM

This is the stuff that made me join this site. Thanks.

CigDaze 10-06-2004 02:46 PM

Thanks for sharing. This is a great thread. Nice to see some personal memories of the way things were years ago. Nice boats.

bajabob38 10-06-2004 03:35 PM

Thats was some great stuff ! You sure were a lucky kid

Ed 10-06-2004 03:36 PM

Regarding the 34' Coyote "Chaos"...Which was spelled backwards on one side of the boat & correctly on the opposite side. It was the only outboard model 34' built at that time. Owned by Al Swencke of Ft. Lauderdale, a local businessman. It was initially rigged with the first three 2.4 E.F.I. Offshore motors available from Mercury Hi-Performance. Ran low eighties speeds in quite a few races in 1982. The Chaos was also one of the first all "Airex" cored Offshore Race boats. Rerigged(widened) the engine centers to accomodate the first 3.4 E.F.I. Offshore from Merc Hi-Perf. to gain approximately 6 M.P.H. The center motor was the only motor changed to a 3.4 Litre. This was due to cubic inch limitations of the class, at the time. Talk about a fun time synchronizing those three stooges! Anywho...Al(Big Al) when on to buy the new 30' Triton, with a unique reverse three-point hull design, named "S.T. Enterprise", built in California by the sole Recarro seat importer to the U.S.(the Enterprise had custom layed-back Recarro race bolsters), rigged it with the latest triple Merc 2.4 L Offshores & raced it for years after. The only 38' Coyote outboard ever built was also all black gelcoat & rigged new with four(4) 2.4 Carbureted Merc Hi-Perf. Division & was named "Four Play". It was owned by a couple of enterprising young brothers who lived at home with their mother, on the canal system of east Ft. Lauderdale. Let's just say, they made their new boat work for itself. It too was manufactured with Airex, but also incorporated sheets of aluminum into the fiberglass lamination schedule. This was for, at the time, when boarded by the Coast Guard, they would drill all suspect boats with a Makita battery drill(the only brand battery drill on the market at the time), & would always stop when aluminum would start curling off their drill bits. This boat sat for years & years eventually, & was sold off...as one of the boys went off to prison. Thought you might find some this earlier Coyote history interesting...Ed :rolleyes:

Fast Shafts 10-06-2004 08:41 PM

In the early 1980's John Carbonell raced "Galleon", a 34 Coyote with triple outboards.
According to an article in "Sounding" a few years ago, this hull was found caught in a fishing net, barely floating. The article theorized that the boat was being used for an "illegal activity" near the Bahamas and was abandoned, the gulf stream eventually carrying it to the North Atlantic.
I've got photos of the "Galleon", but can't post them due to being computer illiterate.