Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Removing original "thru-hulls" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88512-removing-original-thru-hulls.html)

Formula Outlaw 10-11-2004 04:30 PM

Removing original "thru-hulls"

I posted this in the Formula Forum but thought more would see it here.

I'm trying to remove the original "thru-hulls" on my 311 SR1. I'm dumping the whole silent thunder box and the original are just too short. (Like maybe two inches if that).

I've been told they may have been sealed with 5200 (great....). I've tried BIG water pump pliers trying to twist them, no good. I've thought about a heat gun. I've thought about a BF Hammer but I don't want to bust the gelcoat up. It was suggested trying to get behind the flange with piano wire to break through the 5200. Anybody got any "magical" suggestions? Sure could use one. Thanks.

offthefront 10-11-2004 04:39 PM

Re: Removing original "thru-hulls"

Bout time ....let me know....I bought those Gils and am thinking I might have to remove the old tips .....If its 5200 I bet It'll be a bear ...

you gota get your wife to show you how to use that digital cam .....would be nice to see what we're wekin on ...... :D

cuda 10-11-2004 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by offthefront
Bout time ....let me know....I bought those Gils and am thinking I might have to remove the old tips .....If its 5200 I bet It'll be a bear ...

you gota get your wife to show you how to use that digital cam .....would be nice to see what we're wekin on ...... :D

I'm afraid if Russ's wife posted a picture of Russ and the boat, he'd be hanging by his nads from the anchor cleat. :eek:

:)

Formula Outlaw 10-11-2004 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by cuda
I'm afraid if Russ's wife posted a picture of Russ and the boat, he'd be hanging by his nads from the anchor cleat. :eek:

:)

Truer words have never been spoken.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Formula Outlaw 10-11-2004 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by offthefront

Yeah, I'm thinking your right, abut the 5200 that is. I mean these things are acting they are cast in stone. I can't even begin to even get them to move at all.

I might try drilling a good sized hole on opposite sides of the pipe, put a good sized, like 1/2 inch, lag bolt entirely through, and use a big long piece of galvanized pipe as leverage to try to twist them loose. You can get a hell of a lot of leverage with a 5/6 ft. pipe. Maybe that would break them loose.

29 OUTLAW 10-11-2004 06:09 PM

Get a piece of 2 X 4 about 8' long. Wrap one end with a towel and shove it in the tip to make a really tight fit. Then grap on the other end of it and start shoving back and forth. See it that works.

Formula Outlaw 10-11-2004 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 29 OUTLAW
Get a piece of 2 X 4 about 8' long. Wrap one end with a towel and shove it in the tip to make a really tight fit. Then grap on the other end of it and start shoving back and forth. See it that works.

Ahhhhahhh, another good idea working off the "leverage" principal. I'll try that first, less work then the drilling, etc. Thanks.....Russ

HyperBaja 10-11-2004 06:51 PM

To get the tips off? We use 2 small pry bars and slowly work around the tip at the shop.

Be careful not to get to crazy and crack the gel.

Reed Jensen 10-11-2004 06:56 PM

If it was put in place with 5200... yeeeehaaaw baby... have you got a fight on your hands... The only way to remove them is to heat them up... the 5200 gets soft at about 350 degrees... :D That means you have to heat them from the inside with a torch until the rubber is about to start smoking.... then get the BF hammer and tap them out from the inside... I've done it before... it is impossible until you heat them up... if you don't... it will actually start to delaminate the outer layer of fiberglass and gel coat before it gives up........ :eek: Good luck.

JnT 10-11-2004 07:02 PM

I believe they make a product to soften 5200.