Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Ad question.... which site works best? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88572-boat-ad-question-site-works-best.html)

fund razor 10-12-2004 02:25 PM

Boat Ad question.... which site works best?

1 Attachment(s)
I am thinking of selling my ride.
I hafta get rid of it if I am going to get what I want (Formula 31)

No this isn't a shameless attempt at bypassing the OSO classifieds, because quite frankly, no OSO member is gonna buy a 1987 260 Stinger.
Twin 260s.
See? OSO members don't want it.

However, some regular person may buy it.

I was thinking about Boattrader online. That's were I saw the boat.

Anybody have any thoughts about it?
Any other sites that might be good?
I know that the market is soft, but it shows really well, and it's only worth about 16 grand loaded. (I mean amps, speakers, depth, everything).
So for a little money, somebody can be entry level boating their butts off.

Here she is, the world's slowest go fast:

Sean 10-12-2004 02:31 PM

Re: Boat Ad question.... which site works best?

I would recommend boattrader too, but I've been trying place an ad for my father's 38' Chris Craft Continental for 2 days now and their webserver stops responding at the point where I need to login.

It may sound silly, but this is after I put in all the stats on the boat including the description which takes some time, only to fail...it's very frustrating :mad:

CigDaze 10-12-2004 02:32 PM

OSO=small one time fee for up to 6 months.
BT=40 a month for a limited ad with 1 pic.

But you may be right, the market for your boat may not be here.

It's a good looking boat, though. :)

Chris288 10-12-2004 02:39 PM

My vote is for shameless plug,, :rolleyes: :D Seriously,, get it on as many sites as you can... OSO, speedwake, boat trader, salty dog, boat shopper. good luck..

fund razor 10-12-2004 02:40 PM

Thanks Nick.

berns29scarab 10-12-2004 02:45 PM

i dont agree with Chris 288...only because based on past experience selling boats and cars when you over advertise it will hurt more than help...people see it in every publication seem to think your desperate spending all the $$$ on advertising...just my 2 cents

PS a friend of mine who is a broker told me that and it made sense to me

fund razor 10-12-2004 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bern's 29scarab
i dont agree with Chris 288...only because based on past experience selling boats and cars when you over advertise it will hurt more than help...people see it in every publication seem to think your desperate spending all the $$$ on advertising...just my 2 cents

PS a friend of mine who is a broker told me that and it made sense to me

I think that he was partially kidding....

But I see your point. That's why I wanted to narrow it to one or two that people think are most widely used.
Maybe just Boattrader.

I'd put it on OSO just to be a good customer, so to speak, but there's no way an OSO member will ever buy it.

I don't HAVE to sell it, but I can't have two boats (again.) :D

Chris288 10-12-2004 03:08 PM

It personally wouldn't matter to me how many sites I saw a boat for sale on,, if it's the boat I wanted... I don't think there is such a thing as TOO much exposure when your trying to sell a hard to sell older used boat.. Good luck Fund..

I had a tough time selling my 96 Baja this past winter, had to lower the price significantly,, a board member ended up telling his buddy about it and it sold to a guy in Michigan...

fund razor 10-12-2004 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chris288
It personally wouldn't matter to me how many sites I saw a boat for sale on,, if it's the boat I wanted... I don't think there is such a thing as TOO much exposure when your trying to sell a hard to sell older used boat.. Good luck Fund..

I had a tough time selling my 96 Baja this past winter, had to lower the price significantly,, a board member ended up telling his buddy about it and it sold to a guy in Michigan...

That's a good point, too.

Damn. Two good points.

I wish it was a 96 Baja!

Of course, one would think that there is a wider potential market for a cheaper boat, but I guess I could argue that one either way too.

Well, at least if it doesn't sell i can splash it again next year and try to break it again. :D

dtsquest 10-12-2004 03:20 PM

boat trader. Evrybody searches that site