If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Platinum Member Comanche3Six's Avatar

Re: Want to put a chain-fall hoist in my garage.... suggestions as to how?

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven

Can't gantry.... garage is too small for that if I still want to park in it!!

I've kinda built my own engineered beam. I bought 3 2x8's, glued them together (liquid nails), and then screwed them together every 2-3 feet. I picked thru the stack to find the most knot free ones I could find. I'm going to wrap the area where the fall will be slung over the beam with some angle iron scrap I got from work (a cap if you will) to keep the chain that will go over the beam from eating into the wood. I talked to several guys at work (including the general contractor maintenance guy) and they all said this should suffice for my purposes.

Remember, the only thing this hoist will do is lift motors to get them off the stand and into the back of my truck. Simple, right?
    [b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!

You can also scab some plywood (the same width as the 2X8) to the outside of the 2X8's that will greatly increase the stength. I used to do this to garage door headers when I used to frame houses. We would always use Elmer's woodworking glue, the yellow stuff. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123