Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cig 28SS - What to do? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88755-cig-28ss-what-do.html)

MrCIG 10-17-2004 02:06 PM

Re: Cig 28SS - What to do?

1 Attachment(s)
I went with the Platinum look. It really made a difference but did not take away from the classic look.

THRILLSEEKER 10-17-2004 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just sell it and buy mine :drink:

Hang Time 27 10-19-2004 11:04 PM

In the end I guess it really depends on who you are trying to please and impress. I went through the same thing when I bought my '64 Vette.

You've got the "young" who weren't around when these were popular, so stock doesn't impress them, it'll just look like a crappy old boat no matter what you do, especially with all that "Wood?" and aluminum "windows?" !! Makes 'em think of the old alumn windows in grandpa's house. "Probably gonna have the same smell" they'll say...."Don who????"

Then you've got the "elders" who are nostalgic for the original look and craftsmanship, and classic timeless good looks, who will think changing any of it is "ruinning" it....."Don was a God".

Best thing to do is impress yourself, cause it's your boat! Which, my guess, is probably somewhere in between those two . Keep making small changes if you want till you can stand back and say "damn that looks sweet!"......Don't worry about the rest of us. Hell with worrying about resale. Do you really care how much it's next owner likes it?? This is your time, enjoy it!!

Thats whats so cool about the 28, it looks great at both extremes and everything in-between!.........................

cuda 10-20-2004 12:12 AM

No matter what you do, that boat will always be cool. Unless you put an OL paint job on it! :eek:

cuda 10-20-2004 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by TwinStepGun
If your trying to recoup ANY money forget it. I completely (yes, completely) restored my 28 to new. I didn't care about the cost because thats what I wanted. If I had planned on getting the money back out of it, I never would have gone to the extent I did.

That is your main question you have to answer. :cool:

Brandon, who ended up with your 28? That thing was really something special.

Iggy 10-20-2004 05:20 AM

I say keep the small blocks, if the drives are still in good order I'd keep them too. If not, look into the Konrad drives.
As for changing to looks of the boat....DON'T!
A 70's vintage Cig is a real classic. I personally like the teak trim, I like the way it looks.
You say the gauges are shot? Try to stay with a similar style as the original. I think that any changes from originality could devalue the boat.

I like the way it looks now. If it were mine I'd be tickled just to own it.
Don Aronow used the best materials money could by, why change it?

dreamer 10-20-2004 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here ya go

cuda 10-20-2004 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer
here ya go

Nice, but I'd still have to loose the teak door in favor of either a fiberglass or plexiglass door. I detest teak. It's impossible to keep looking good.

JUSTONCE 10-20-2004 09:07 AM

I'd keep the trs, your not gonna break em with small blocks. That boat is a killer reliable setup the way it is, so why change it. After spending time on thrillseekers boat I really love these 28 cigs.

BLee 10-20-2004 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cuda
Brandon, who ended up with your 28? That thing was really something special.

"NickoTeen" here on the board owns it now. I get to see it all the time on the lake :( :D . He drives it every weekend. :cool: