Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bayliner...Whats in a name? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88780-bayliner-whats-name.html)

CigDaze 10-18-2004 02:47 PM

Re: Bayliner...Whats in a name?

Ya, they're pretty much junk, but In all fairness, the only one that I've had any experience with was a college buddy's 21' Bayliner that we used to ski behind and go island hopping with in Daytona. The boat was about 15 years old at the time, and for the four years that I knew the guy, that boat was ready to go each and every weekend...He didn't even change the oil in the damn thing, just gas. We beat the crap out of it, trying to break it...Sure, nothing worked and the interior all but fell out, but it just kept going. It was fun at the time.

R Addiction 10-18-2004 03:18 PM

So all the skeletons are coming out ............Who else has a story? :D

CigDaze 10-18-2004 03:36 PM

I think we all have a bayliner story from one time or another. :D :D :eek:

HOUSTONPROP 10-18-2004 03:40 PM

:D :D

Originally Posted by R Addiction
So all the skeletons are coming out ............Who else has a story? :D

JaayTeee 10-18-2004 05:00 PM

.......Hi, I'm JT and I once owned a Bayliner :eek:

Yes Darin, Your 2350 cobra was quite the unit
back then ( it even had separate throttle/ shifter ! )

There was a little bit of fun had in my 1980 1950 eagle
closed bow, originally powered by a 260 merc.

I threw a couple of different engines at it, blew a drive,
raised the x dimension,added thru hull exhaust,
got it running in the mid 60's.

Sold it to a friend, he installed a 406" sbc dynoed around
415 hp, ( ran in the mid 70's to the best of our calculations.)

There were some pretty "priceless" looks had when it would
out run the "performance boats" of the day :D

Now, before you all start admonishing me about "safety",
etc. I was 21 years old then.......I'd never even heard of
external steering.

It's what got me started on this addiction :drink:

On a side note, I saw it out on the lake this summer,
still "puttin" along.

jt

thisistank 10-18-2004 05:33 PM

You know, for all the sh!t Bayliner takes I really cant say they are horrible boats. I've never heard from someone who "Actually owned one" say it was a total sh!t box. And I sure as hell would take one of those 45 or 50 foot ones...sweeeeet.

Bayliner got that horrid rap because they used to let their hulls sit outside (for loooooong periods of times sometimes) this somehow weakened the integrity and this is when you heard the stories of them cracking down the middle. That was back in the early to mid 80's. I don't hear about many newer Bayliner's having any probs.

Most people can't afford a 70k SeaRay or Fourwins. Whatever, it's not like they make offshore racing boats and compared to the $500k+ Offshore boats of today.

Oh, by the way...Matt, you're out of control! :drink: :drink:

Jonas 10-18-2004 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok laugh its ok all my buddies around here think its funny untill it starts raining,,
i shouldnt announce this here, probably bad idea,,, but i love our big ol pot belly pig of a resin bucket.. i love havin it so in the winter when the wheather sucks azz i can go boating,, its fun big oll churnin deisel engins chuggin at 2100 rpm a about 17-18 mph, blender heaters, ice maker, even a bathtub.. :D :D
i know it goofy but its better than sittin around. and we can pile 10 people easy on it,
it doesnt get any use in the summer really,, as the fountain is what we use when its nice.

Minx20 10-18-2004 07:07 PM

Never had a Bayliner, but once when I worked at a marina as a detailer, I heard the owner was looking for a new salesman. He jokingly said if anyone comes in and says that they had worked previously as a Bayliner salesman then they would be almost certain to get the job. He believed a Bayliner salesman could sell just about anything or for that matter any type of boat to just about anyone. :D

E.S.

HOUSTONPROP 10-19-2004 01:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a old picture with the beast boat puller,It was buried. I am sure I have more :rolleyes: ,I copied this one on to my cell so I could post,You can see a 20' or so. :cool: :D I will be the first to admit ,I loved it especially in those day's at 23. :( :D

C_Spray 10-19-2004 07:19 AM

We can laugh, but the guy having the most fun right now is the guy who created US Marine (Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian). Last I heard, he was on the list of 500 richest Americans - Orrin somebody....