Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Help, Opinions Needed! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88955-help-opinions-needed.html)

ofshore 10-19-2004 11:31 AM

Re: Help, Opinions Needed!

Definitely a judgment call on your part, if the guy seams like he's serious maybe he would need to boat transported anyway so he's trying to kill two birds with one stone. As long as he's willing to pay for your expenses (I'm not so sure $500 is enough) i'd do it, just make sure the check clears the bank before you make the trip.

Dixie Doug 10-19-2004 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jan
I have someone from Virginia very interest in my boat.

Problem is he wants me to pull my boat to Richmond Virginia (360 miles) for his inspection, he has offered to send me a check for $500 prior to this for my time. If he likes the boat he would pay me the difference, if he does not like the boat I keep the money and pull my boat home. He told me if my boat is as I described, this should not be a problem. I believe everyone has different ideas of what clean/condition is. Boat is in excellent condition, but at the same time it is 7 years old.

I feel like he should come to me and I take him out on the boat and if he likes it buy the boat, I have offered to pull the boat to Richmond if he wants boat but not prior to. I also have lowered my asking price to where I think he can take some of his time to come look at the boat.

http://server1.offshoreonly.com/geoc...php?a=2&b=1636

Jan
I agree people have different ideas of what clean/condition is.I know you see disagreements on this site and others about what clean or I got cheated because of what this guy said ect.........
I would figure on not getting the 500.00, if you still what to ok.
Doug

ofshore 10-19-2004 11:34 AM

damn, i type way to slow :rolleyes:

Sydwayz 10-19-2004 02:08 PM

Does this guy have a truck?
Where in VA is he?
Does anyone here in VA know him? He should not react adversly to a few questions, before you endeavor such a journey. I also think he could find a closer boat for a joyride if that was his motivation.

Jan 10-19-2004 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Does this guy have a truck?
Where in VA is he?
Does anyone here in VA know him? He should not react adversly to a few questions, before you endeavor such a journey. I also think he could find a closer boat for a joyride if that was his motivation.

Brian, he lives in Richmond. His name is Kirk Ammons. He seems to be serious about the boat; I just feel it would be to his advantage to see the boat at my house. I can easily put in the lake, answer questions, and let him drive it...

Like I said earlier I have already told Kirk I would bring him the boat, after we had agreed on a deal. I am just really leery of pulling the boat to Richmond for an inspection/test ride and it is not what he really wants and having to pull it home.

Jan

pm203 10-19-2004 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by fund razor
He needs to bring his truck and his money to see the boat or he isn't serious.

He should get his test ride in your home port, at your convenience.

Absolutely!!!!!!!

cig1988 10-19-2004 03:23 PM

I would'nt drag it up there. I'm sure he can find a mechanic and pay him $500.00 to go down for the weekend. Boat should be as is/where is. Besides, God forbid if something happened on the interstate, way too much risk !
If he does buy the boat as is/where is offer to tow it up for him once sale is completed.

CigDaze 10-19-2004 03:25 PM

I have to agree with the others, it seems a stretch to drive the boat 360 miles away for a "chance" that he might buy it, 500 bucks or not. That's a long drive(roundtrip) for 500 bucks.

Try this: Strike up a purchase agreement, stating the he has agreed to buy the boat, on the condition that the boat meets or exceeds how you have represented it. Go to NADAguides.com and look at their "Condition Rating" system(Excellent, Good, Fair, poor), there is a great detailed description of each category as to what a person can reasonably expect when a vehicle is described as excellent/good/fair/poor. Ask for a non-refundable deposit(I'm thinking 1000 bucks) for your troubles and for agreeing to sell him the boat.

If he's serious, he should have no problem signing it. And you have some recourse if he opts out(only if you misrepresented the boat).

jtmiller02 10-19-2004 03:58 PM

jan,

I would tell the guy, spend the money on a plane ticket to come down and trial the boat, if he likes it he can sign a deal on it while he is here, and then you will deliver it for him or whatever. If he doesn't like it, you can bury him under the reactor up there :D

Brad 10-19-2004 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jtmiller02
jan,

I would tell the guy, spend the money on a plane ticket to come down and trial the boat, if he likes it he can sign a deal on it while he is here, and then you will deliver it for him or whatever. If he doesn't like it, you can bury him under the reactor up there :D

I agree with JT!