Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dually...Long or Short Bed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88990-dually-long-short-bed.html)

Strip Poker 388 10-20-2004 02:26 AM

Re: Dually...Long or Short Bed

Originally Posted by thedonz
i think when it's a dully it really doesn't matter that much if it's long or short bed (of course 4 dr) cause the handling will be pretty much the same. the 4 dr short bed dully are pretty cool cause there unique. me personally would get it long bed

donz jr mike

long bed!! . the short beds look funny to me . I even wish mine was a 6 dr also :D

Dock Rat 10-20-2004 04:23 AM

I think resale will be better with a long bed. It's hard to tow a goosenneck or 5th wheel trailer with a short box because the front of the trailer can hit the back of the cab on tight turns. They do make special sliding hitches, but they are $$$. I don't think there would be a noticable difference towing a tag trailer though..

excursion 10-20-2004 06:43 AM

Thanks for the replys, I do have a 37 AT right now and for 1 or 2 more years, and I tow it with the Excursion, and have no problem, gone to Florida twice with it, but I plan on going to a 43 Black Thunder. So this will be what the Dually is for.

gmhdfan 10-20-2004 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
long bed!! . the short beds look funny to me . I even wish mine was a 6 dr also :D

The Lucas Oil team has a 6 door . Pretty cool.

MarkSmith 10-20-2004 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Audiofn
What are you towing? There is a definate difference btwn the long and short bed. HOWEVER the short bed will pull well also. Are we talking about a Crew Cab, extended cab or regular cab?

Jon

Crew cab. I tow 5th wheel, gooseneck, and tag.
I need the space for my wifes suitcases on our 2 day trips.
Mark

AugiePensa 10-20-2004 07:48 AM

Long Bed, better on the road!

Madcow 10-20-2004 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought my second 4 door short bed. They drive so much better around town, and I don't think pulling is an issue. I've pulled my 42 Sonic to Florida with it with NO problems. As to resale there aren't many of them out there and the guy's who want them snap them up quick.

R Addiction 10-20-2004 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388

Strip....like this?

jordy 10-20-2004 11:18 AM

I have a long bed crew cab duramax and a extended cab short bed duramax (work truck) Chevy (not dually, but the same bed), and my suggestion is based upon how much cargo you plan on carrying in the bed. I have an 80 gallon red fuel tank with a transfer pump and tool box in the short bed, and by the time it's all said and done, I've probably got around 3' of bed space left. Not to mention the tank is 10 gallons smaller or there abouts, 24 or 25 on the short bed and I can sqeeze 35 in the long bed. That extra 10 gallons equates to an extra 150 miles or so before stopping for fuel.

My crew cab long bed has a tool box in it but no extra fuel tank (it's my play truck) and I can use all 8' of the bed. I've had 3 crew cabs now, all long bed, one of them was a dually. As far as being easier to drive long bed versus short bed, the biggest difference is the couple feet of hips hanging off the side.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Brad 10-20-2004 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Also, 'Brad' here on OSO towed a 35 Playboy Cig with a SB dually for a long time.

My dually towed fine and was easy around town, only downside I saw was the smaller fuel tank.