Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dually...Long or Short Bed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/88990-dually-long-short-bed.html)

excursion 10-19-2004 10:21 PM

Dually...Long or Short Bed

I am now looking for a Dually truck and have come across a F-350 Dually 4x4, Is it ok for towing or should I go with the long bed version? The short bed is easier to park and turn, but does the long bed work better?

chromecat 10-19-2004 10:27 PM

Re: Dually...Long or Short Bed

i like the long beds function better cuz they have almost 10 gallons more fuel capacity..... but the short bed looks nicer and is easier to get around in.....

Don

Pure Energy 10-19-2004 11:43 PM

I tow a 31 Sonic with my shortbed dually, no problem.

gmhdfan 10-20-2004 12:02 AM

You can always build a tank for inside the bed. Toolbox/fuel tank combo thing. But just remember the longer the wheelbase the better it is for towing. Until you have to back it in somewhere :rolleyes:

MarkSmith 10-20-2004 12:21 AM

If you drive fast on the highway, get a long bed. The longer the wheelbase, the straighter the driving. If you drive long distances, get the long bed. 99% of my driving time is forward towing. 1% of the time I am backing or launching the boat. I would never get a short bed. My .02

Audiofn 10-20-2004 12:29 AM

What are you towing? There is a definate difference btwn the long and short bed. HOWEVER the short bed will pull well also. Are we talking about a Crew Cab, extended cab or regular cab?

Jon

animalhouse 10-20-2004 12:37 AM

I towed a 42 OL to Sarasota w/ a short bed dually, and had a good ride, and maintained 75 mph comfortably. Plus it was great for launching and moving the boat around the Hyatt.

Sydwayz 10-20-2004 12:53 AM

James has a 37AT.

I would recommend the long-bed, although I like the looks of the shortbed better. I think the next person looking for your dually, being that they are looking for a dually, is going to want a long-bed more than a short-bed.

I think the towing capability difference would be minimal. Sent a PM to BeakBoater and/or DreamBoater here on OSO. They tow a 37 OL, and previously a 38 Fountain with a short-bed Ford dually; here in the VA/MD area where we do our trips.

James, is Reba going to be driving the truck at all?

Sydwayz 10-20-2004 12:54 AM

Also, 'Brad' here on OSO towed a 35 Playboy Cig with a SB dually for a long time.

thedonz 10-20-2004 01:43 AM

i think when it's a dully it really doesn't matter that much if it's long or short bed (of course 4 dr) cause the handling will be pretty much the same. the 4 dr short bed dully are pretty cool cause there unique. me personally would get it long bed

donz jr mike