Notices

Cig 28SS - What to do?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cig 28SS - What to do?

I recently bought a really nice, original, 1976 28SS, with winter coming I'm trying to decide what projects to plan, do I...

Finish restoration of the original small blocks/TRS, electrics, and teak, etc....

Rip out the TRS's and replace with new engines and Bravo's, etc. basically making a "new" boat out of what is arguably a classic...

Which would be more desireable when I go to sell or trade?
Attached Thumbnails Cig 28SS - What to do?-cig-h20.jpg  
Old 10-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cig 28SS - What to do?

Restore it to original.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Registered

Put a set of Konrad drives on it and you will not have to replace the transom assembly and change out the windshield with an aluminum fairing. That's what I would do. If you still wanted to go Bravo, Stellings makes an extension box that converts from a TRS set up to a Bravo without any fiberglass modifications. Either way you will see an improvement in performance. I would think that the TRS drives would eventually hurt the resale sense Mercruiser is stopping production of replacement parts.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long will you keep it?
If you aren't worried about getting your money back, turn it into a "new" older boat, that would be great.

It will help the resale with newer driveline components, but not enough to recoup your cost. If that is not a concern, build it the way you want it and enjoy the hell out of it!
Those are sweet boats by the way!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

do ya run that boat in lake travis? i remember seeing one like that when we went to go pick up our topgun. i would do all the modifications ya want but leave that paint job on it. i love those old ss

donz jr mike
Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It go for a new engine/drive package, either going to Konrads or B1 variety. Strip off the old school accesories like all that metal off the bow, and the teak platform. Go for a sleek flat bow, with flush hatches if possible, or maybe Bomar slim hatches. Install an aluminum swim platform. Rip out the old school shifters/throttles, and go for new school. Rip out the old school guages and go for new top of the line Gaffrigs.

It would be a radical old school ride with a new school update. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:44 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I think its pretty hot looking as is.
Do the konrads, you wont have to move the engines back either.
Maybe upgrade the dash. Board member Sean knows how to do this, his old 28 he redid came out real nice.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Registered

keep it original...

a drive/engine swap at this point will cost a bundle and you'll never get your money back out of it...trust me...I've been there and done that with my 28ss. I put a little over 60k into mine, doing much of the work myself...and sold the boat for half that...not a good investment.

btw, does that have the merctrans or borg warner geears?

do some minor cosmetics to update it. as metioned above, do a faring, get rid of the teak and cleats...put in pull-up cleats and leave it at that...you'll have a nice looking orginal boat...that looks updated and more modern.

Last edited by Sean; 10-15-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Registered

Mike, yes, and I remember seeing your TG on the lake that day... ...I loved the sound of that thing going by!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It go for a new engine/drive package, either going to Konrads or B1 variety. Strip off the old school accesories like all that metal off the bow, and the teak platform. Go for a sleek flat bow, with flush hatches if possible, or maybe Bomar slim hatches. Install an aluminum swim platform. Rip out the old school shifters/throttles, and go for new school. Rip out the old school guages and go for new top of the line Gaffrigs.

It would be a radical old school ride with a new school update. Good luck.
If your not going to keep it original and spend all that money, why not just buy a newer boat to begin with? I still say all original.

Its like putting leather corvette seats in a 72 chevelle ss. buy a vette or restore a chevelle

Quick Reply: Cig 28SS - What to do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.