Mold / Mildew in V-berth... >

Mold / Mildew in V-berth...

Notices

Mold / Mildew in V-berth...

Old 10-21-2004, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mold / Mildew in V-berth...

I've always used the stuff that they sell in the marine stores to keep the mildew out......As Otis said, i think it's called Damp X or something. One in the Cabin V berth, and one in the Cockpit. I also leave the cabin door 1/4 of the way open so there is some air flow. You can tell the product works because when new, the bucket is filled with small white, free moving pellets, and after the winter the pellets are all stuck together full of moisture. Sometimes there is even water that sits on top of them (all pellets must have been used).....So i usually check sometime in mid winter, and will replace it with a new one if the container if full of water.

As for the mildew that is already set in the "fur" area, that is a pain to get out. I used a scrub brush and some mildew remover that starbrite sells. Had to scrub the sh!t out of it. Make sure you have a fan and alot alot of venalation when using any mildew remover product....the stuff is stong and it makes breathing a bit tough.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
DON'T USE OZONE

Again this is my business and what i do for a living.

Ozone will deteriorate Rubber gaskets and wiring covers

Randy Wild
We've been using it for years, in boats, in aircraft, in automobiles. It's bad for tire rubber, but that's about it. If you look at all the rubbers used in boats, per the ABYC(American Boat and Yacht Council), which are in accordance with ASTM D 2000 and other industry specs, they are 99% Ozone resistant.

Detailers and cleaners hate it, because it cuts down on their business.

Fact: Ozone works.

Don't be afraid of it. Most auto detailers use it, most of the largest hotel chains use it, airports, Hospitals, Hertz Rent-A-Car, Avis, etc., etc.
(I have the customer lists and their testimonials, I also reverse engineer many rubber products. You'd be hard pressed to find any rubber products nowadays that are notwithstanding of ozone.)

Nothing is as effective as a germicidal, fungicidal, antimicrobial, disinfectant as Ozone is.

Last edited by Cig Daze; 10-21-2004 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

Great info here guys.... My wife bought two of those pellet buckets,, from boaters world,, I looked at them and laughed,, didn't think they would do squat,, aparently I was wrong......

So maybe a 20 lb bag of charcoal, starbrite mold/mildew spray preventer, a couple of pellet buckets, a fan, an ozone plug in, some moth balls, and I should be all set... LOL...
Old 10-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"My wife bought two of those pellet buckets"

You mean like a "damp-rid" or something of the sort. Those things work amazing. On a humid night those things will fill up in a few hours.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cig Daze
"My wife bought two of those pellet buckets"

You mean like a "damp-rid" or something of the sort. Those things work amazing. On a humid night those things will fill up in a few hours.
a lot of good thats gonna do me for the next 5 months !!! You Floriduhians have a lot more humidity than we do...
Old 10-21-2004, 08:51 PM
yss
Registered

Kitty litter will keep a boat dry in the offseason too! No joke!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where do you buy ozone?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Registered

Dont forget to open all the closets & lockers.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:24 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

I use the thin Clorox pads to wipe down the entire vinyl/fiberglass interior of the boat. Has worked great for several years.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That last time I worried about mold inside I just put a dehumidifier I own inside the boat with the cover on... let it run for a couple of days... then put out some dessicant... charcoal will work the same way.. no problems.........

Quick Reply: Mold / Mildew in V-berth...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.