Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mold / Mildew in V-berth... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89072-mold-mildew-v-berth.html)

cig1988 10-22-2004 04:21 AM

Re: Mold / Mildew in V-berth...

"damp rid" is plain old calcium clohride. AKA ice melt. Sold at a fraction of the cost in a 50lb bag. It is also used during the cold months added to concrete as a fast drying agent.
I usually take out the cabin interion cushions and store them inside warm and dry. Never have a problem.

Roger 1 10-22-2004 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by yss
Kitty litter will keep a boat dry in the offseason too! No joke!:D

Unless a cat gets in there. :D

Chris288 10-22-2004 09:22 AM

I sen't an e-mail to zontec asking what they reccomend for a boat with approx. 200 cubic foot of space.

I'm thinking the calcium cloride in some quart containers in the lockers, the spray and a tin foil pan of CC on the floor in the v-berth..

InXS 10-22-2004 11:42 AM

Chris288, sounds like a lot of good advise in the above posts; do's and don'ts, etc.

However, if you have not already done so, you should also check for water underneath the v-berth in the stringers for water that has not made its way back to the bilge. It will add to the problem if present. JMHO :rolleyes:

Chris288 10-22-2004 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by InXS
Chris288, sounds like a lot of good advise in the above posts; do's and don'ts, etc.

However, if you have not already done so, you should also check for water underneath the v-berth in the stringers for water that has not made its way back to the bilge. It will add to the problem if present. JMHO :rolleyes:

Thanks,, yes thats what started it,,, my driveway slopes forward and there is no way to pull the boat in,, so it gets backed in, and water was in the bilge for a week or so,, now I put on the cock pit cover AND the full cover, so no possibility of water getting in there.. I may pull the drive this year so I can jack the tounge up as high as possible for the winter..

GregP 10-22-2004 02:14 PM

I used a single heater/fan unit (the aluminum round one) from West marine. Plug it in an let it run all winter. One unit was enough to keep the massive cabin of the Formula dry. The water absorbent things work, but it the water solution gets on anything it will corrode it, had to replace the stainless sink from draining the excess water from the damp tub into it once.

-Greg

FloridianSon 10-22-2004 05:12 PM

Cascade or any stuff you use in your dishwasher for cleaning up the mold.Friend just went to a seminar about the mold in homes.