Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   140 over the speed limit (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89439-140-over-speed-limit.html)

JohnJan 10-28-2004 07:40 AM

Re: 140 over the speed limit

1 Attachment(s)
A MotoGP bike, with a price tag of around $1million bucks (and you don't even get to keep it after the season) make around 240hp will run just over 200mph geared for whatever track they happen to be on. A 1000cc AMA Superbike, with around 200hp will go 190 or so and those bike cost in the range of $250k. I've ridden RC51's. Stock they're not much faster than my WERA legal Supersport 600. I doubt some kids RC51, with a pipe and jet kit will measure 188hp and go anywhere near as fast as they say he was going, ram air or not.

Oh, and GLH, here's what I think about your comment...

Formula Outlaw 10-28-2004 08:07 AM

GLH, try riding a bike at 185 or faster. Try it down around 160. It's as "UNGAY" as ungay gets.

Don't knock the rice burners for what they are capable of. That's why Harley had to organize and start the "All Harley" drag racing circuit. They were so outclassed by those "buzzy little Jap bikes".

I get such a laugh out of Harley telling us what a hot rod the "V-Rod" is. They are even advertising it. My little 908cc 85' Elliminator would run low low low tens all day long. Finally sold it, very reluctantly to my mailman last Dec. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I wasn't riding it much. So in a moment of sheer stupidity I let it go. Am sorry I did every day of the week. In today's world, no one knew what it was. They might have been suspicious, seeing those 4 Keihein CR Series (coffee can sized) smoothbores hanging off the cylinder head, or the Supertrapp exhaust, or the fact it shook the ground when it idled. But stoplight to stoplight it was virtually unbeatable. Selling that bike made my top five "stupid list". Every time I saw a Harley, the "Jaws" music would pop into my head. Not knocking Harleys here, they are gorgous bikes, but fast just isn't their bag.

GLH 10-28-2004 08:32 AM

My comment was a little harsh so sorry for the noses out of joints.

Bike at 165 has been done back in the early 80's(Kawasaki Z1R Turbo), Cars at 168 also (Supra Turbo, Porsche 928S4). It was fun but not worth years of high insurance and driver license state and province shuffling. I understand if it floats your boat but not for me anymore.

Nothing is more fun than 60 MPH in 6-8 Footers in a Offshore rig, plus you can have 5 or 6 of your buddies with you if they have the stomach for it and no one is chasing you with flashing red lights. Anyone can buy a $10k bike, an offshore rig is a commitment.

Also I have no close friends that have died or got paralyzed boating (pleasure boating) I cannot say the same for motorcycling.

HiPerf2000 10-28-2004 08:55 AM

GL,

I do both, so i'm only half a ***. :D :D

hugetime1 10-28-2004 11:20 AM

i think we need troutly's input on this

Reed Jensen 10-28-2004 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by GLH
My comment was a little harsh so sorry for the noses out of joints.

Bike at 165 has been done back in the early 80's(Kawasaki Z1R Turbo), Cars at 168 also (Supra Turbo, Porsche 928S4). It was fun but not worth years of high insurance and driver license state and province shuffling. I understand if it floats your boat but not for me anymore.

Nothing is more fun than 60 MPH in 6-8 Footers in a Offshore rig, plus you can have 5 or 6 of your buddies with you if they have the stomach for it and no one is chasing you with flashing red lights. Anyone can buy a $10k bike, an offshore rig is a commitment.

Also I have no close friends that have died or got paralyzed boating (pleasure boating) I cannot say the same for motorcycling.

I totally agree.... going offshore is akin to travelling into the last "open frontier".... you can go where you want... when you want... as fast as you want ( except wakeless areas ) and their isn't some cop there to rain on your parade.

hugetime1 10-28-2004 11:36 AM

this is why i sold my bike, if i didn't hit 150 everyday on it, it felt like i didn't have my coffee or something, i am a mad man and I had no business owning one of those.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-28-2004 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by hi-perf-2000
GL,

I do both, so i'm only half a ***. :D :D

So I guess that would make you Bi-HP ;)

Jgray 10-28-2004 01:12 PM

RC51 is a track bike, made to corner, the bike stock only makes 125ish at the rear wheel. This kid(205) was on Sportbikes.net, they did a high speed dyno run, 6th gear to rev limiter. topped out at 144mph. If he hasn't he will get out of, how can the cops be 60mph+off and make the ticket stick? The stop watch doesn't lie, but the dude running it? I have an 02' GSXR 1000 with a , full system and custom map, it only makes 155RWHP, 188RWHP from an RC is MotoGP power($100,00+). In a straight line I walk away from my buddies piped, "chiped" RC, in the twisties he's faster, twins and the torque they make, not HP.

Wasabe 10-28-2004 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Bikes are gay.

You need HP to get in the news on a boat, not a box of rice and a half gallon of AvGas.

Please say you're kidding?