Looking for old Open class race boat >

Looking for old Open class race boat

Notices

Old 10-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was fortunate to race in the open class of APBA racing in the 70's and I am looking for a project to keep me busy in my old age.

I am looking for an old open class race boat from the 70's or early 80's that might be out there and just needs some TLC to bring it back to life. Cigarette, West Coast Scarab, Cobra, something in the 38 foot range with staggered engines and #3 drives. Just a hull and deck with some history would be fine too.

I travel between New England and Florida at least once a month and will be at Key West for the races. Anybody with any information that could help my search, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Charlie McCarthy
Old 10-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for old Open class race boat

tooold amen
Old 10-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Tom @ WPM Racing. He has a 38' Scarab race lay up (kevlar), set up for staggered's, but there is no history. It is a brand new hull, (never rigged). On a brand new trailer, stored indoors, $25K. He used to race in the 70's & 80's so he may have enough parts to finish it. The # is: 909-371-7567

Originally Posted by Chatim Racing
I was fortunate to race in the open class of APBA racing in the 70's and I am looking for a project to keep me busy in my old age.

I am looking for an old open class race boat from the 70's or early 80's that might be out there and just needs some TLC to bring it back to life. Cigarette, West Coast Scarab, Cobra, something in the 38 foot range with staggered engines and #3 drives. Just a hull and deck with some history would be fine too.

I travel between New England and Florida at least once a month and will be at Key West for the races. Anybody with any information that could help my search, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks

Charlie McCarthy
Old 10-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Registered

This might be a lead or not, but what about Mark's, BAM Marine, project? I have not seen it for several years, the last was at his Ft. Laud location, it was a 1972 36 Cigarette that has alot of history. Take a look at http://www.go-fast.com/bam,_the_project.htm for more details. Who knows if he still has it, and better yet if he would part with it. Worth a try.

E.S.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for old Open class race boat-bam-36-cig.jpg  
Old 10-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i remember seeing bam run in lake michigan racing in the mid 80's in 6' - 8'er's he cuts the rug. that boat loves the big water !!!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 32 Velocity that ran D class in the late 80's with that config..3-man cockpit, staggered motors...it's listed in the parts swap area...needs drives..have power available...

Some pics in the Velocity Forum.."pics of Big Red"
Attached Thumbnails Looking for old Open class race boat-p4-9_xtremely_dangerous_2.jpg  

Last edited by BODYSHOT1; 10-29-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Registered

Look in project boats at the 38 Signature !! It was layed up in 94 by an OLD racer guy I know! It just never got finished !! It's set up for twins or trips.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

I got a 1982 35' Cigarette. Race engine hatches, external steering etc. Was the former race boat Cigarette Lady in Catalina California.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How about this? 1989 Larry Smith Scarab, Kevlar. Staggered engines, #5's, center steering, etc. Was built for racing but never raced. Was the Key West World championships pace boat in the mid 90's but that's as close as it got to racing. $95k.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for old Open class race boat-scarab-water-side.jpg   Looking for old Open class race boat-scarab-transom.jpg   Looking for old Open class race boat-scarab-engines.jpg  

Old 10-29-2004, 07:23 AM
jonesj

Chatim Racing,
If you are interested I have the 35ft Benihana Cigarette on the original trailer, the boat does not have any drives or motors but is drilled for #3's and set up for BBC. I would entertain selling the boat, I'm in Charlotte North Carolina e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Looking for old Open class race boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.