Dually vs. SIngle wheel pulling >

Dually vs. SIngle wheel pulling

Notices

Dually vs. SIngle wheel pulling

Old 10-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dually vs. SIngle wheel pulling

Does a dually "handle" a trailer better than a single wheel? Im looking at one today. Its going to be just a tow vehicle, i already have a grand cherokee to drive everyday, so parking etc is not a problem.

I dont need a 1 ton right now, a 3/4 would work, im looking into the future and what i might be towing
Old 10-30-2004, 06:42 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Dually vs. SIngle wheel pulling

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Does a dually "handle" a trailer better than a single wheel?
Yes
Old 10-30-2004, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

if it wasn't my daily driver, I'd have a duallie just for when I do tow.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

General rule of thumb: yes.

However, it also depends on the trailer and if the boat weight is distributed properly.

I have to use my "tow" vehicle as my work vehicle ergo I have a single rear wheel. my 01' V-10 Dodge 4x4 quad cab long bed is rated for 12,600 lbs tow capacity. I tow an 89' Formula 311 SR1, which is not a light boat. I've never weighed it, but with full tank of gas and including aluminum triaxle trailer, it's probably somewhere around 10,000/10,500 lbs. My truck doesn't even know it's back there.

My only issue with the Dodge is the tranny, which as I understand it, after nine model years has finally been solved. I thought about trading it for a diesel, went to the Venice Dodge where I have bought two NEW vehicles from them. A 99' 1500 4x4/360 and the one I currently have. Went in armed with all the Kelly Bluebook info. For having the V-10 motor, I was supposed to receive more money for my trade. Then the sales manager gives me the sales chit about how my V-10 REDUCES my trade value because Dodge doesn't even offer it any more. Nice try. The reason Dodge doesn't offer it because it cut into the sales of the Cummins Diesel package which they make much more money on. He tried to tell me the "Hemi" motor would tow just as well as the V-10. So WE went and tried that. Hooked up Outlaw and towed it around town. It was a joke in comparison, even the salesman had to admit, that even just riding along in the cab, he could feel the difference. That V-10 just has so much more low end grunt. The Hemi was really having to work getting the boat moving. The V-10 just pulls away reasonably normal.

Then I looked at the price of the new Diesels. Figured I'd had to drive about 400,000 miles or more to justify the price difference.

That very afternoon I saw a brand new decked out Dodge dually with the Cummins HO motor, and all the goodies. Sticker price was over 53K

I kept my truck.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

If buying strictly for towing; go for the dually, hands down, if you can swing it.

There is "no such thing as too much truck."

If you are going to drop coin and buy a truck, go ahead and get a truck big enough for your NEXT boat. Thay way you don't have to upgrade the truck when you go boat shopping. Think about all the interest you will save (if financing).

That being said, you can easily add Air-Lift or Firestone air-bag suspension to any truck, including a SRW truck; and gain a lot of the towing stability the dually would give you, BUT, you are still not going to match the dually. Even when I upgrade my current truck to get a diesel/dually, I plan to add the air-bag rear suspension. I won't own a truck without them installed. (I had them on my Tahoe and now my 2500 Avalanche.)
Old 10-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

For towing, go long bed, diesel, DRW, 4x4. 2 finger driving and great resale. Cowboy Cadillac!

Mark Smith
Old 10-30-2004, 11:38 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
I dont need a 1 ton right now, a 3/4 would work, im looking into the future and what i might be towing

tough to find a 3/4 with duallies, think 1 ton.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:50 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A dual rear wheel 1 ton truck will give you much more stability on th road while towing. If you want a gas engine you are pretty much locked into a Chevy or GMC with a 8.1 liter engine. Also spring for the Allison 5 speed trans. These trucks have the drive train to handle up to about 14000 lbs. One other choice for really big loads would be a GMC C4500 medium duty truck. These can be had with either a Hauler style bed (Highway Products, White City, OR) or a pickup bed (Monroe Truck Equip.) You have to go to a GMC commercial dealer to find any one who knows anything about these trucks. If you shop hard these trucks with a bed are pretty close to the price of a new loaded dually. At this point are you buying all the bells and whistles or a 250000 to 300000 mile tow truck. An excellent contact is Mac Coile @ Carl Black GMC in Kennesaw, GA. His phone # is 678 776 0791.I currently tow a Blackthunder SC430 with a 1997 Chevy crew cab with a 454 and auto trans. It is not enough truck, however new boat engines took priority over the new truck this year.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

... however new boat engines took priority over the new truck this year.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you have your priorities straight f311fri

Welcome to the board. As for my '$.03' (remember, I'm from Can.) I prefer a dually over the SRW.

Brian
Old 10-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

I prefer Dually 5 speed deisel 4x4.
Excellent control over what your towing.
I used to have a 1991 Chevy reg cab dually 454 gas 3 speed low hole 4x4 that also towed well. Just didnt have the room for everyone.

Get a dually
My02
Attached Thumbnails Dually vs. SIngle wheel pulling-dscn0001.jpg