Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Almost lost him..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/89846-almost-lost-him.html)

dhlaw 11-04-2004 06:15 AM

Almost lost him.....

3 Attachment(s)
I was on my way home last night and wanted to stop at my house that is under construction to check the mail box. My builder is a fishing buddy and an all around super nice guy about my age. He works really hard and is probably one of the best builders in our area. It is common for him to work at the house on the weekends or evenings just cleaning up or prepping for the next stage. I had been trying to reach him on the nextel DC for about a half hour but it was not working on his end so I figured he was home. I pulled into my house and saw his truck so I thought great! we can talk and BS for a few. The house has the second story walls up and the wall height is 22 feet. The center of the house has a stairway that has not been finished so it is open. As I walked into the house I heard him groaning... turned and he was laying on the concrete unconcious in a huge pool of blood. He had stepped into the stairway hole while working alone and fell 12 feet onto his head and back. I almost crapped myself. I thought he was dead. I called 911 and they came and transported him to the hospital. He has a 4 inch gash on his head, severe concussion, 3 broken ribs, broken shoulder, torn ligaments, and looks like hell. I spent part of the night at the hospital until they knocked him out with pain meds. Just had to tell somebody....it really shook me up. He has no wife or family in the area so me and some buddied will be keeping an eye on him I guess.

Here is a pic of the hole he fell into, the second story walls are standing now though.

Perfectmix 11-04-2004 06:21 AM

Re: Almost lost him.....

That really sucks!! Hate to hear of accidents like that. Wish the best to him.

boatfreak 11-04-2004 06:23 AM

Wow he is one lucky man that you came along when you did. I hope he can get back on his feet and go fishing with you soon.

Ms PatriYacht 11-04-2004 06:30 AM

Wow how horrible, thank God you stopped by, any idea how long he was lying there? Good thing the kids were not with you. I wish him a speedy recovery.

ONESICKGLADIATOR 11-04-2004 06:41 AM

That really sucks!! Hate to hear of accidents like that. Wish the best get well soon

Rick OSG

Audiofn 11-04-2004 06:41 AM

Man he is ONE LUCKY dude. I fell on a job site late one night. Luckily I was able to catch my self as the ladder was sliding. Everything I was carrying went for a spill however.... It happens more often then you would think. Guys get comfortable working and then they get tired or what ever and fall off the roof, fall though a hole, what ever... Hope your buddy recovers ok and that you can find some one new that is as good as he is.

Jon

kitten 11-04-2004 06:43 AM

OMG, How terrible! Lucky you came by. Is he going to be OK?
He will be in our thoughts & prayers, does he have parents somewhere?

Our neighbor was going to look at his son's garage door (old, old house) that was not operating properly, and before he could touch it,...it unloaded on the
side of his face, striking him with the giant spring and bar thingy. WELL, he
was ALONE and passed out a few times crawling to the neighbors whom he
did not know. He's going to be OK after 8 hours of facial surgery, metal plates, etc. Broke every bone in the right side of his face, gash on his nose,
crushed his eye socket, may not see. OMG!!

Hope your builder will be OK. :(

Ange 11-04-2004 06:53 AM

Holy chit! Good thing you stopped by. Hope he mends well and quickly.

tiufb 11-04-2004 08:06 AM

Hope he's going to be OK. We ALL need to be careful when working alone like that. At least try to let someone know where you are, and when you'll be back. Goes for boating alone too!

OffshoreOnly 11-04-2004 08:07 AM

Law- glad to hear he is ok. I guess we don't need to tell you that the hole needs to be taped off before some kids get in there late night and you have a lawsuit on your hands.