Notices

What do you do?

Old 11-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Post What do you do?

Im trying to decide which way i want to go with my career. What business are most of you in? I would like to think i could make a living in the boating industry on the business side. Most of my hands on experience is in high performance boating, thats also where i know all my contacts. My education is in Maritime Administration, basically the business side of martime operations, but all aspects of business included.

I have thought about talking to a lot of people at the Miami show when i go to see what the market for my kind of job would be. I know many of you guys are highly respected in what you do and i value your help and direction.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What do you do?

I've been in the automotive aftermarket for 13 years, I was 20 years old when I got in the business...I now sometimes think about doing something else, but it's hard to leave what you know

I say, do what make you happy, if you can have a career getting paid for doing something you enjoy...then that's the best
Old 11-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasn't for the expenses of boating I would be retired and wouldn't need a career.

To forward your career and keep your sanity get friends who have boats and donate at the pump.

Just kidding. I have NEVER accepted a penny for fuel etc. I am going boating regardless if anybody is with me or not.

Secret to career: work, work, work, work, work. Working hard and working SMART is the key. In reality, your career should not be work but enjoyable (a hobby).

Still can't understand how I got here.

Last edited by expresscat39; 11-05-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:33 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Stay in what you know and have been succesfull in. Success in one field rarely transfers to another. Construction here.

Working in the boating world will turn you into a golfer or dirt bike rider (No offense Tres!!!)!!! Boating is to much fun to work in that field.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

Working in the boating world will turn you into a golfer or dirt bike rider (No offense Tres!!!)!!! Boating is to much fun to work in that field.

NEVER!!!!!

Things to weigh in-
This is now Winter, not sure what that means in Tx.
Can you go back to old job if this one fails?
Do you have the patience to stick with it (you will lose money for a while, and work endless hours)

If you are able to go back to old job, and do have a decent savings, and lots of patience, Go for it!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Stay in what you know and have been succesfull in. Success in one field rarely transfers to another. Construction here.

Sounds like good advice.

GL I don't care what they say about you---- you are smart----

Used car dealer here----- I lie to the public

L.S.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Registered

You win never truly win unless you truly roll the dice.....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Secret to career: work, work, work, work, work. Working hard and working SMART is the key. In reality, your career should not be work but enjoyable (a hobby).

well said. i feel like you read my mind
Old 11-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm Postal here 11 years next week and I want out FAST
Old 11-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I worked for 15 yrs. in construction and was pretty damn good at it - even had my own company for 5 of those years - until someone cut me short on a house I built them and soaked me for $50,000. I was running a small operation (2 trucks on the road 3-4 employees) taking that hit put me under.
Now I manage the purchasing for an optical lab - go figure, from construction to eyeglasses....
but in reality it's the same job - I make sure that we have all the materials we need to produce a product, and that they are on hand when we need them.the only difference is that I'm dealing with products that I can't get down at the Home Depot, I have to have Haz/Mat stuff sent from Germany and Austrailia and have to plan the time for "cargo plane only" and for it to pass through customs.

Whatever way you go, just work hard. Take the opportunity to learn as much as you can around you - the inventory, the accounting, the sales, the product itself, the use of the product and how it holds up, and every aspect of making the product - this will all take time, don't get frustrated when you're busting your hump and not getting what you think you deserve($$) - it takes a while to get there. Orginazation is key!
Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.