Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   36 apache 4 sale sank in OK any info??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90022-36-apache-4-sale-sank-ok-any-info.html)

WetKitty42 11-08-2004 10:25 PM

Re: 36 apache 4 sale sank in OK any info???

Don't forget the upper casing is cracked.

Jassman 11-09-2004 06:40 AM

Fred, btw thanks for your help yesterday, I appreiciate it. Jeff

Roger 1 11-09-2004 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
They CAN be welded but its good practice to keep an eye on the area for cracks in the future

No doubt they CAN be welded, they just should`nt. I`ve replaced dozens on runabouts, cruisers and pontoon boats but would never do it on a surfacing type drive. There will be a stress riser where the dense filler metal in the weld meets the pourus metal of the casting and that is where the failure will occur. Usually when it is under a side load..like in a corner or turn...you know...at the most critical time. As far as ''keeping an eye on it''. The failure will usually be sudden and catastrophic and without warning or any indication of pending failure.

Pantera1 11-09-2004 09:22 AM

I wouldn't weld it anywhere up high where it would be critical ..Looks to me like just the bottom of that skeg is broken off..Although hearing that there are cracks in the upper part of the cas ! Part it out !

Jamie B. 11-09-2004 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by WetKitty42
Waiting for a good deal on a 47. I need a big one so I can keep it on, not in the water

lol

Good idea Fred, it would be hard to flip a 47 :p :D

Glad you are here to laugh a little about it now. :)

- Jamie

kevinr 11-11-2004 03:06 PM

Yes so far the insurance has beed fine. Thank you

Anyone still need a trailer?

Wett , yes i am looking for a MYCO for my 38' TG PM me on a price and a pic KR

CAP071 11-11-2004 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Wes Smith
Sorry girls and boys...the ad is disingenous and misrepresents the condition of the boat.

A three foot crack down the hull = " no damage to hull " ??...I don't think so.

Like I said, if it was repairable and worth it , then Fred would have fixed it....period.

I would think the owner would know what was wrong with it :rolleyes:
sounds like it was trashed

CAP071 11-11-2004 07:55 PM

Warpaint,

did you really buy the engines and drives?

anyone is welcome to call me with any questions they might have, being i'm the one who flipped her. She did more than just roll. it cartwheeled vertically 2 or3 times before it sank in SALT water. I sure hope the guy who bought it from the salvage company came out and looked at it first. The insurance company made it look very attractive and advertised it with minimal damage, which was not true.

The motors wer spinning close to 6,000 rpms when it went down STERN first with NO engine hatches on. one the #6 drives are DAMAGED, cracked upper casing, and the skeg was ripped off. A big chunk of lamination is missing from the port side. and is cracked ALL over the boat. I belive the engines have a serious knock in them. we pumped 5 gallons of seawater out of them.

Yep you are so right a good coat of wax and it will look good as new :D

CAP071 11-11-2004 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Pantera1
Your right ive never seen this boat up close .. Gel coat does not just fall off like that without some serious flexing .. :drink:

Well from what the owner said She did more than just roll. it cartwheeled vertically 2 or3 times " I'd say that would help it flex enough to help the Gel coat fall off :D

Audiofn 11-11-2004 08:08 PM

Don't they paint their boats?.........