Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is paypal 100% safe?????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90050-paypal-100%25-safe.html)

NJgr8ful 11-07-2004 08:42 PM

Re: Is paypal 100% safe??????

Rick, if the money ends up in your PAYPAL account, transfered there from the buyer, it is backed by either his CC or his personal banking accounts and either way I'd say your 100% safe at the point the money hits your account.

But just to be safe, wait for that PAYPAL money to be transferred over to your personal financial institution. That takes @3-4 days and at that point it has to be 'clear'. They will have already deducted their (robbery) fees and you'll just need to request a transfer. There are no PAYPAL fees associated with 'transfers' to your accounts. Requesting a check might cost you, not sure, I just transfer to my personal accounts and I have never had a problem.

Only risk I see is him possibly claiming he never received 'item' and filing a claim with PAYPAL to recover his money. That would be highly unlikely in the case of a boat transaction and transfer as there will be piles of paper work and records that document the completed deal and shipping .... So, probably ain't gonna happen.

Chris in Vegas is talking about sending someone funds using PAYPAL ... always a much bigger risk being the buyer than the seller IMO. I've had nothing but 100% positiive experiences using PAYPAL (except the fees :mad: )

BTW, wasn't this guy a member on here asking question aout KAAMA drives ... I remember reading a thread? Sounded like a legit dude if that was the same guy I'm thinking of .....

BonnieOutlaw 11-07-2004 08:51 PM

Maybe I'm an idiot...but I'm wondering why a bank check wouldn't work better for you. A secured check written out by a bank. He pays them, they send you a check. If he has a "real" checking account, most if not all banks will do that and take the money immediately out of his account so they are assured the funds are good. I think all banks will do this, but there's probably some exception out there that I don't know about.

Ron P 11-07-2004 08:53 PM

Wire the funds!!!!!

SeaRay Jim 11-07-2004 09:06 PM

Or use a legit escrow service....that you select.

RJ1340 11-07-2004 09:39 PM

Think about it: what's a guy in the Netherlands gonna do with your Wellcraft? I always wondered who fell for these things. And regarding Pay Pal, its convenient, but NOTHING'S 100%

Michael1 11-07-2004 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bonnie Outlaw
Maybe I'm an idiot...but I'm wondering why a bank check wouldn't work better for you. A secured check written out by a bank. He pays them, they send you a check. If he has a "real" checking account, most if not all banks will do that and take the money immediately out of his account so they are assured the funds are good. I think all banks will do this, but there's probably some exception out there that I don't know about.

Don't send the boat until the bank check clears either. I have heard of scams where criminals even setup fake banks, complete with telephone numbers, and people answering calls as if they are bank employees when you call to confirm it is the bank's check.

Michael

Lucididee 11-08-2004 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
Forget the check, thats not happenin' if he wants to send a check, the boat gets sold to the next bidder, I already have his info. I believe I can do this, and not get hit by ebay, because the ad said it only shipped to USA, but this guy hit the Buy it Now, and killed it. All I want to know is, once he deposits the $$$, and I move it out of paypal, can he get it back??? I will wait a while to ship the boat, and I am not falling for the "oops I sent too much, please send the difference back" deal.

PayPal cannot take the money out of you bank account.
But what can happen is. If you do sell more items on ebay, accept paypal, and then he wants to get his $ back that is where you will get hit. PayPal will hold your money until the matter is resolved. (I am not sure how long they can hold it for though.)

Lucididee 11-08-2004 12:27 AM

The safest thing to do is open a checking account at a different bank and ask for a wire transfer. Wire transfers cannot be reversed and the money is there immediately.

Also figure out how you want payment in full. Use this account to also accept the final payment. If for some reason he backs out at least then you can just give him cash or a cashiers check at the bank. Once the transtion is completed close the account.

Fountain38SC 11-08-2004 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ron P
Wire the funds!!!!!

Ditto

bluellama 11-08-2004 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by RJ1340
Think about it: what's a guy in the Netherlands gonna do with your Wellcraft? I always wondered who fell for these things. And regarding Pay Pal, its convenient, but NOTHING'S 100%

Who knows.... maybe use it on their 5046 KM's of intercoastal waterways, or their 451 Kms of coastline ....... :D