Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question >

Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Notices

Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Old 11-07-2004, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

I don't have a truck, and don't particularly want to get one. What are people's thoughts about mooring a boat, and using a hydro-hoist to get it out of the water, spraying it down after use, flushing the cooling system, and covering it with a full cover? Is anyone doing this, and what are your experiences?

I live near the Pacific, so this would be salt water. I've seen people do this here on occasion with offshore performance boats, but I am not sure how well it works out.

Thanks.

Michael
Old 11-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Fightclub

Default Re: Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Leaving the boat in the water can and will take years off its usuable life. If you dont want to trailer which is a PITA, how about Rack and Launch in a marina? Much better option that Morring. Pick up the phone and wala your boating my man!

It would get old in a hurry trying full cover a boat on the water.

My .02

Old 11-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
I don't have a truck, and don't particularly want to get one. What are people's thoughts about mooring a boat, and using a hydro-hoist to get it out of the water, spraying it down after use, flushing the cooling system, and covering it with a full cover? Is anyone doing this, and what are your experiences?

I live near the Pacific, so this would be salt water. I've seen people do this here on occasion with offshore performance boats, but I am not sure how well it works out.

Thanks.

Michael
Were you planning on launching out of Ventura?... do they have a rack service there like the Lido Boatyard in Newport?.... This is the way to go if you don't want to trailer... They launch your boat with a huge forklift... then upon your return... they flush and wash your boat.... I think it's about 10 bucks a foot per month... really a bargain compared to towing all the time.
Attached Thumbnails Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question-rack-resized.jpg  
Old 11-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run in the Pacific, keeping my boat on a HydroHoist, 10-15 minutes of freshwater flushing per engine after each use. However I only go with a cockpit cover, as opposed to a full-cover. There are a lot of performance boaters in my area doing it that way.

The only time I trailer is for fuel.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:50 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I would not moor a boat unless it's over 47 ft long.

Dry tack or trailer.

Leaving a boat in the water makes a mess for performance rigs.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
I think it's about 10 bucks a foot per month...
Actually it's about $21 /ft / month for 35-39 footer.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks.

Michael
I've read this thread a couple of times in the last two days or so. One thing keeps coming to mind when I read the questions. What would be the reasoning behind "not wanting to get one" ? The pros to owning one outway the cons about a million to one.

This of course doesn't bring to light the ability to enjoy your boat in more than just one location.

Buck
Old 11-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I keep mine on a Hydro Hoist and love it. Stays nice and clean and in a few minutes its in the water. I clean it off when putting it on the lift but I don't have to do the flush thing every time being on Lake Michigan.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxsterre
Actually it's about $21 /ft / month for 35-39 footer.
I must have been thinking about slip costs.... I'm sure they are much higher these days...
Old 11-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Registered

$20 bucks a foot and it is not even covered!! That seems really high. Our boats sits in a covered dock on a lift at LOTO. Boat is in the water in 15 and that is with both a cockpit cover and full cover. I can't image paying $800 a month for rack storage and the boat is still exposed to the elements.

Quick Reply: Mooring Instead of Tow Vehicle Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.