Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fountain 42PR (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90426-fountain-42pr.html)

GLH 11-14-2004 09:47 PM

Re: Fountain 42PR

Originally Posted by epeek
No worse than losing 200k on a new cigarette in 3 years.

Cigarette does not diminish the price of there new boats every year like Fountain does killing the re-sale market. Ask any Fountain dealer.

There are currently 218 Fountains on boat traders between 35-42 between 1990-2004. And 83 Cigs for the same years and lenghts.

I didn't buy my Cig new because I cannot afford it even if I'd be worth $50 million I could not afford it, it's mainly because of depreciation, this is also practically the only thing with marketability that I look for when I shop for a boat these days (marketability beiiing the reason why I do not currently shop for a Sunseeker Superhawk).

I can tell you that if I had put the same money in a Fountain new or used back in January when I bought the Tiger I would be in a worst situation than I am now with the Cigarette I have. I have been approached by at least 2 people with valid offers for my rig, and I have one guy here on the lake that will give is left nut for it if and when I sell!!! You'll meet him in Key West.

I have not owned a new car since 1989 or new boat since the same year.
The Cigarette I had last year Rick I made money with. Same deal with the last two Porsches I've owned. The key is to buy it right and buy some exclusivity, Fountains are a dime a dozens and they build 350 a year, constantly dropping prices for new ones. Heck I've seen Fountain dealers still have new warrantable 2003 for sales.

Of course this is just my situation and choices. Everyone should do as they please but what I describe here Rick with the price issues of owning a Fountain are what I observed.

CYA down there.

epeek 11-14-2004 10:13 PM

I disagree,heres my reasoning. Lets say you went out today & bought a new
42 ex with 525's for 225k.probably in about 4 years it would be worth about
150k. Now lets say you bought a new 42 Tiger with 525's. Probably about
375k, In 4 years its probably worth 225k. Which boat has depricated more?
percentage wise maybe the Fountain,but doller wise you lose more on the
Cig. I keep hearing how Cigs retain their value so much more,but I see
older t-guns all over the place for 100-125k. Yes more than a Fountain
(not by much),but they cost a whole lot more when they were bought new.
I'll agree that they are very marketable though. I not knocking Cigs,they
are awesome boats. I just don't see how the slant on this board is that they
hold value so much better than everything else.

epeek 11-14-2004 10:25 PM

Anyone else want to chime in? Am I all washed up? Or do you think I've
got a valid point. ........G.L,lookin foward to seein ya in Key West.
I'll have to lower my standards and run with the Drunkin Bum poker
run team in that OL' 42 Tiger:D

fine jade 11-14-2004 10:47 PM

i agree, value is perception. i have friends who brags that they have baja's for cheap. If they are happy that is what counts. if you are worried about retaing value GET OUT!!! of boating. it is all about having fun and enjoying the boat you have.

GLH 11-14-2004 11:32 PM

I disagree,heres my reasoning. Lets say you went out today & bought a new 42 ex with 525's for 225k.probably in about 4 years it would be worth about 150k. Now lets say you bought a new 42 Tiger with 525's. Probably about 375k, In 4 years its probably worth 225k. Which boat has deprecated more?

Rick your missing my point I have long time ago figured I cannot afford a new boat period WHATEVER the brand, even a Bayliner. So how much new boats depreciated is of no consequence to me I WILL never be able to take that hit.

I keep hearing how Cigs retain their value so much more,but I seeolder t-guns all over the place for 100-125k. Yes more than a Fountain(not by much),but they cost a whole lot more when they were bought new.I'll agree that they are very marketable though. I not knocking Cigs,they are awesome boats. I just don't see how the slant on this board is that they hold value so much better than everything else.

Again I am not talking new Rick. As for maketable, you'll see at the Poker Run. That's the crowd buying those boats not dreaming about them and eventhough Cigs are sold for more money for the same lenghts and year I bet you of the 150 boats you will have twice as many Cigarettes than Fountains. Surely not on our lakes up here however, the ratio on Champlain is at least 15 Fountain to 1 Cigarette.

I'll ask you this Rick just trying to illustrate my point, this is not something I played with when I was shopping I wanted a Cig unequivocally;
Lets assume in January 2004 you have two choices for the same money and I know it was roughly for the same money:
New 2003 Left over Fountain 38 / 575's or
2000 Cigarette 42 Tiger 600 SC's.

1. Which do you think will lose the more in value over the next 3 years?
2. Which would you choose?

For me 1. In my warped little mind I evaluated that the Fountain would lose more value.

For me 2. I chose to be the only one on our Lake with a Cigarette instead of the 16th one with a Fountain.

masher44 11-15-2004 12:55 AM

Depreciation is depreciation is depreciation. They are almost exactly the same percentage. No differences. Been shopping both this fall...

38L vs. 38TG both great and both depreciate the same.

It all depends on what you fill in the blank on your tax write-offs every year....Fountain or Cigarette?

DollaBill 11-15-2004 07:33 AM

GPS read 106 w/ Benny.

epeek 11-15-2004 09:30 AM

G.L. I totally understand what your driving at. My point is not what you personally
will be better off with as far as depriciation on your deal. You are a smart guy
and know what to buy at a certain price. My point is that, for you to buy low and
make money on a sale,someone had to sell low. If cigs dont depriciate like
Fountains,then why would someone have to sell low? As far as I can see,
The depriceation is about the same between the 2 manufacturers.

GLH 11-15-2004 09:53 AM

G.L. ....You are a smart guy...

It's one thing for you to defend Fountains but statements like that will never get you taken seriously...anywhere...ever...ever. :D

dreamboater 11-15-2004 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by buyafountain.com
GPS read 106 w/ Benny.

thats faster than some cats with comparible power. That is incredible. Good job Fountain.