Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90455-let-me-tell-you-about-my-stinkin-day.html)

mcollinstn 11-15-2004 06:53 PM

Re: Let Me Tell You About My Stinkin Day!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so you're an experienced boater.
And it got up to stable operating temp at the ramp.

So you went out and ran it at 4200rpm for a while and did a few holeshots.
Ever occur to you to check oil level and purity after a little running? A salt boat can have all sorts of issues that can end up with water in the oil. Do you know if the boat had been winterized properly? All sorts of things can happen in a short amount of time from a cracked block, oil cooler, or bad exhaust riser.

Sounds like the boat was a pure trash heap before you touched it.
Glad it split a gut before you paid for it.

And I'm not aiming this at you mobilcal so don't fluff up over it:
But this is a good time to remind everybody not to let your boat go on a test ride unless you are in it. In this case, it was an experienced operator in a crappy boat. But next time it could be a crappy operator test driving YOUR boat that is for sale. And the end result could be the same.

PhantomChaos 11-15-2004 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Things could have been worse... This was in the San Pedro Channel yesterday............ :eek:

Good thing everyone was okay. Earlier that day when they got to Catalina......

open87 11-16-2004 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Might I make a suggestion?.............canoes ;) :D

down here we call dem things pirouges :p

mobilecal 11-16-2004 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Okay, so you're an experienced boater.
And it got up to stable operating temp at the ramp.

So you went out and ran it at 4200rpm for a while and did a few holeshots.
Ever occur to you to check oil level and purity after a little running? A salt boat can have all sorts of issues that can end up with water in the oil. Do you know if the boat had been winterized properly? All sorts of things can happen in a short amount of time from a cracked block, oil cooler, or bad exhaust riser.

Sounds like the boat was a pure trash heap before you touched it.
Glad it split a gut before you paid for it.

And I'm not aiming this at you mobilcal so don't fluff up over it:
But this is a good time to remind everybody not to let your boat go on a test ride unless you are in it. In this case, it was an experienced operator in a crappy boat. But next time it could be a crappy operator test driving YOUR boat that is for sale. And the end result could be the same.

I completely agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even thought the owner did not mind at all, it is very important that the owner be with you at sea trial no matter the relationship.. This way the owner is never in question as to how the boat was treated.....

And I did check the oil before we launched but not during the trial...and I dont think it was winterized

mobilecal 11-16-2004 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Good thing everyone was okay. Earlier that day when they got to Catalina......

To bad I didnt have a camera with me. We could have listed 2 boats on the thread