Notices

37' Stilletto to plane

Old 11-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 37' Stilletto to plane

I recently bought a 2000 37' Outerlimits Stilletto with 900 Sc's and #6 Drives, no spacers, no ext. boxes, and 4 blade 17 1/8 33P Merc. props. The boat is fast and responsive after getting on plane. But once a year (and several practices) I pull my nephew in the Catalina Ski race and will need a a much better hole shot. The way the boat is set up nowit's doubtful that it will even pull him up at all. I can sacrafice 15 MPH Top End . I have ridden in other 37's with close to the same power, etc. and they have the same problem. Anybody ever tried a 1 1/2 spacer or 5 blade props? Anybody been able to cure the problem without loosing much top end? Do most #6 drive boats have similar issues?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Re: 37' Stilletto to plane

call mike at the factory. He would be more than willing to help you out.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered

I have called and talked with Paul. they suggested i try a spacer and possibly a 5 balde prop. But I'm hope to find somebody that tried some of these things already to find out what worked best.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what speeds you are seeing in the boat?

There was a boat for sale 2000 37 OL with 1050 quadrotter whipple's that he had set up for Ski Racing, the guy used the boat on Lake havasu. Sounds like he was a little more serious about this than you, but he sent the boat back to OL and I believe they lowered the drives to eliminate the rooster tail as well as help with getting on plane. If you havent tried 5 blades you might want to try that first. They should get you on plane better. 6 drives are typically high in the water and run by big HP and torque which causes a lot of slip in the lower rpm range. Especially getting on plane the props will slip very bad.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Registered

Sent you a e mail. I have only had the boat out for two hours on Lake Mead since getting it. Saw 103 but had plenty left but didn't want to push it with 91 octane. On the sea trial 106 and the engine builder has been in the boat at 113 MPH.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Registered

I got your email. I dont remember who owned the boat. I remember it was Mostly white with Red and Black graphics. He ended up selling that boat, but I am not sure what he bought after that if anything. A friend of ours went out to see the boat to purchase it but couldnt make the deal happen. The boat was also advertised in Powerboat and Hotboat for a while ago, but thats been about 1 year ago. I was asking you about speed because my Dad has a 02 37 quadstep with 1000KE and #6 drives. His best number is 112 gps with 17.5 x 33 Merc 4 blades, they are not lab finished. Its a great boat but can get a little crazy above 105 if you dont drop the tabs fast enough. Dont know if the single step is the same way or not.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Registered

Is his the one that's blue in color and for sale through Ocean Performance? Yes my very short time in the boat showes me that you have to be alert with the tabs. My boat wants to porpoise at most speeds unless you are accelerating. In smooth water i had it doing 95 plus and it wanted to porpoise so I had to put more tab in it which of course slowes it down. Can't wait to get the thing in the Ocean out here. Does you Dad's boat have the same issue about getting on plane?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Yeah it will hop up and back and chine walk side to side. Your right, putting the tabs down will scruob speed but actually the boat wont run to its potential moving all over the place either. The props already being high will start to break loose when the boat moves from side to side. That boat will surprise a lot of people in how it accelerates. Its a huge boat but is very quick. They are also beautiful boats. Good luck with yours.
Attached Thumbnails 37' Stilletto to plane-03_28_04_26.jpg  
Old 11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Registered

Getting on plane is not very quick to answer your question. If you mash the throttles it just spins the props. But then again he never trys to get on plane fast or has he ever pulled a skier.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 PM
Registered

PS, I will see Mike F this weekend and ask him about props and spacers for you

Quick Reply: 37' Stilletto to plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.