30 Spectre
29.90%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

Old 11-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

interior of my 04' spectre! even has a cooler under the seat.
Attached Thumbnails 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre-30cockpit.jpg  
Old 11-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Registered

Tantrum My vote is Spectre . 2005 for sale with 300 pro max's . Lets make a deal . Have
you sold your 25 A/T
Dave.
Attached Thumbnails 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre-dscn0218.jpg   28 Skater/AMT/Spectre-dscn0220.jpg   28 Skater/AMT/Spectre-dscn0216.jpg  

Old 11-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Pics. Spectre for sure gets my vote for amenities, space, and creature comforts. I just dont like getting passed. It was a hard choice for me and I still like the Spectre just cant have both!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at the Skater plant at the end of the summer and they had a cut-down 28 with no rub rail and quarter canopies. Peter said that the guy that ordered it backed out of the deal so it is ready to go. It wasn't rigged when I saw it. If you want a one of a kind 28 give Pete a call.

- Jeff

Last edited by tamburello; 11-22-2004 at 07:33 AM. Reason: fixed Puder spelling
Old 11-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dan lawrence
I have ridden in all three boats and owned and own a 30 spectre 04' with 2.5's.

The 28 skater is a very fast boat but not a boat for 2-3 ft seas. In open water the skater is too small. If you boat inland or on a lake the skater is the boat for you!

The AMT is a great race boat but the pleasure boat is not as nice as the spectre.

My second 30ft spectre 04' is an awesome all around boat. The finish work, paint job etc is awesome. My boat runs with two on board 100-102 with 1/2 tanks. Light on fuel 106. The set up is from the factory and I am certain that more is in the boat with some additional work. With the 2.5's the boat can be proped right to out accelerate the 300x. first guy to 100 wins the race.

I spoke to chris and peter about the 30 skater and am certain that it will be a great boat. Unfortunately your looking at twice the money of a spectre.

I love the outboards 2.5's and have ran them for the last 4 years over 500hrs. Your fuel economy, maintenance and speeds make the boat a very economical 100plus offshore experience.

feel free to call me 941-376-8006 dan
2-3's is really not a problem for the 28 Skater. Now you cant run positive trim with out launching out of the water, but no problem to run in 2-3's at a little negative. I will say that the 30 spectre felt more stable in that water and did have a smoother ride, and even in that water the boat was fine to trim up. You really notice the weight being more in the 30 spectre. But, not faster.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamboater
2-3's is really not a problem for the 28 Skater. Now you cant run positive trim with out launching out of the water, but no problem to run in 2-3's at a little negative. I will say that the 30 spectre felt more stable in that water and did have a smoother ride, and even in that water the boat was fine to trim up. You really notice the weight being more in the 30 spectre. But, not faster.
I agree with what your saying and I assume you are at speeds of 80 or less.

Mike Anderson who throttled the flowmaster boat to many world championships owns a 28 skater. We ran a poker run together and averaged 90-95. He said when we went out in the gulf of mexico 2-3ft sees he could not keep up with me. Sure you could run the Skater hard and throttle your ###ss of but who needs to be beaten up. Every boat has its sweet spot.

Calm water the 28 skater is "the boat". Unfortunately, in the gulf it gets bumpy 80% of the time. In purchasing the new boat I would look at the type of boating and then make the decision.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dan lawrence
I agree with what your saying and I assume you are at speeds of 80 or less.

Mike Anderson who throttled the flowmaster boat to many world championships owns a 28 skater. We ran a poker run together and averaged 90-95. He said when we went out in the gulf of mexico 2-3ft sees he could not keep up with me. Sure you could run the Skater hard and throttle your ###ss of but who needs to be beaten up. Every boat has its sweet spot.

Calm water the 28 skater is "the boat". Unfortunately, in the gulf it gets bumpy 80% of the time. In purchasing the new boat I would look at the type of boating and then make the decision.
Funny you mention that name. Mike Anderson rigged my boat. I bought the boat from Mike Brown which happen to be Chris Parkers old 28 Skater. Mike has been very helpful to me in learning this boat. Very good point. Type of water really makes the decision easier. I boat in the River, where it can be rough but not like being out in the Gulf. How do you like your 2.5's? I am trying to figure out if I should switch to 2.5's I now have 300 promax's, hard to find a used set of 2.5's however.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:00 PM
Registered

sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I like the 2.5's but they are not as user friendly as the 300x. For your boat running in flat water I believe that the boat is faster with the 300x. Gary Ballough told me that the 28 runs best with the 2.5's shorty. He likes speed in big water so the boat would fly better. My boat is weight sensative with the 2.5's /as the 300x boat runs the same with 100 gallons of fuel or no fuel.

Drawbacks to the 2.5. runs synthetic oil and requires mixing. Should not shift unless you run very forgiving prop hubs. Requires rings every 75 hours. Advantages are the power to weight. Runs 8,200 so you can prop the boat to out accelerate the 300x.

For the water you run in I would stay with the 300x and keep the rpm's under 7,000. John Vanderstel (Mercury's number 1 outboard guy) told me that they did extensive testing on pistons for the 300x models and the pistion wear increased 5 fold when they ran them over 7,000. You get alot of life under the 7,000 mark.

fuel economy is about the same.

Chris parker was a nice man we were running with him when he barrel rolled his 36. Don't want to relive that day again>
Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Registered

If they were 300x's I would be very happy. They are 300 promax's. I run synthetic oil in the promax's anyway just going off of what Mike Anderson suggested. Many people claim its over kill.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by cowisl
Skaters are all out performance.
Amt likes the rougher stuff.
Spectre has all the amenities
does AMT have a website?

Quick Reply: 28 Skater/AMT/Spectre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.