Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MIA: my dad

come on Mike give it up!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this morning I got a call from him. He first got in this morning. He said that he stopped at a restaurant in Missouri and then took a wrong turn after that. I couldn't get from him just where he went, but he said that it was a couple of hundred miles. Somehow he was able to get turned back around and find his way home. If he hadn't, who knows how long he would have been driving around. As it is, he was missing for 48 hours and who know where he was.

I wish to say thanks for all of your warm wishes. I wish to specifically thank Cig1988 who personally called me this morning to volunteer his services. THANK YOU!

Apparently, Arkansas is not able to look up his tag number with his address. Their data base just isn't linked that way. The local Sheriff was incredibly helpful. They absolutly did everything that they could to help me. When I called this morning, I got a different dispatcher and he was very familiar with the case. How often does that happen in the big city? These guys are going to get a big pat on the back from me!

Troutly, I'm going to send you all the info that I have. It's after the fact right now, but I would like to create a file for the next time. There will be a next time, and I want to be prepared for it.

That said, we thought of the cell phone. That would be just too easy. This past week he forgot that he had a key for his gas cap. I had to break it off so we could fill the tank. Turned out he had it in his pocket. There is no way a cell phone will work for him. He's old school and couldn't figure out how to use it, would forget it, would foget that he has it, or wouldn't turn it on, etc. It needs to be fool proof. I think that the gps locator is an excellent idea. I'm going to look into the fees for one. Thanks for the idea.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Registered

Great news. Glad everything turned out ok.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Well, the gps locator for a vehicle is still in the prototype stage. I know that the big rigs have been using them for a while. Does anybody have links for these sytems?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your very welcomed Tim. We have a system from qualcomm. Not sure if they have a non-comercial system. The cost for ours was apprx $4000. for each unit. Give qualcomm a call 800-541-7490.
Glad everything worked out.
Stan
Old 11-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Registered

There are supposed to be some GPS vehicle locators for about $600 avalable. A DEA buddy was telling me about them recently. Look for them through things like theft prevention devices and I know I've seen them advertised for things such as hiding in race car trailers in case of theft. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with. A GPS trackable cell would be better if you could get him to carry it 'cause since theoretically it would be with Him instead of whererver his car ends up if they got seperated. I Think most cell phomes are trackable now days dependant on what the cops have to track it with.
So Glad to hear the good news. Get those fliers made up in your computer and look up contact info for authorities between your place and his and be ready in five minutes next time.
OK. I'll shutup.
Don
Old 11-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

Great to hear he's back and safe......

How about putting a Lojak in his truck ???
Old 11-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Banned

Good to hear he's ok. My dad isn't that bad yet, but he is becoming more forgetful. He never leaves town unless mom is with him anyway, and she's still as sharp as she ever was. They are driving to my place next week for TG, I'm sure mom will do the navigating.

A side note, last week I got a call from the alarm co for my parent's house. I couldn't raise them on the phone or cell phone. Now that I live 150 miles away, I did get in touch with my brother who lives a few blocks from them. Mom had accidently tripped the alarm, so no big deal, but it still puts my heart in my throat when I get a call like that. I talked to my mom yesterday and asked her why she didn't have her cell with her. She said she had it, but didn't turn it on.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Registered

Talking Re: MIA: my dad

Originally Posted by Risk Taker
How about putting a Lojak in his truck ???
Lojack is an idea, around $600-$800, but you'd have to make a stolen vehicle report to activate the system. Might give him a heart attack when he gets pulled over in a felony traffic stop.

Not to mention, Lojack isn't fool proof. They have to be activated first of all, then they have to be in an area where the LEO's have the trackers. They also have to be pretty much right on top of them to work, that is, they don't work in mountain areas or out in the middle of nowhere. Just some info that the sales people won't tell you.

Glad to hear about the happy ending in this instance.

Quick Reply: MIA: my dad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.