Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SeaTow opinions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90728-seatow-opinions.html)

kcgbjc 11-18-2004 11:33 PM

Re: SeaTow opinions

So Sea Tow or BoatUS? Which is suggested?

bglz42 11-19-2004 06:22 AM

I use TowBoatUS, and have had real good luck with them. But SeaTow is a good company, too. It depends on the coverage in your area.

The rule is NEVER LEAVE THE DOCK WITHOUT IT!!! :D

Dave M 11-19-2004 07:36 AM

I have TowBoat US insurance. Fortunately, I have not had to use it yet.

frequentflyer 11-19-2004 07:37 AM

I use Boat US. Nothing against SeaTow and it definitely depends on the coverage area. One thing I like about Boat US is that you are covered as a person and not a vessel. In other words if I go out on a buddies boat, he will be covered too. Don't know if that's the way Sea Tow does it.

OldSchool 11-19-2004 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have TowBoat US insurance. Fortunately, I have not had to use it yet.

I have this also... and fortunately haven't had to use it either!!!

I am curious though, How much does it cost to get a SeaTow franchise? Do you have to buy a certain type of boat or buy the boat from them?

Thanks in Advance,
Craig

jaybird 11-19-2004 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by frequentflyer
I use Boat US. Nothing against SeaTow and it definitely depends on the coverage area. One thing I like about Boat US is that you are covered as a person and not a vessel. In other words if I go out on a buddies boat, he will be covered too. Don't know if that's the way Sea Tow does it.

I have used Boat US tow before on my old boat once, and also on my friends boat. So it is nice that your card can follow you across mulitple boats. Though he should have had his own card. I think around $120 gets you unlimited towing, which one good tow could cost well beyond that.

Similiar to AAA road service with the fact that the card follows you. Not sure if SeaTow does the same since I never used them.

Sean 11-19-2004 09:30 AM

I am a SeaTow member...it is great insurance...and for $140(I think) you are insuring the skipper, not the boat, so it goes with you...

I read some interesting articles on the tow/salvage debate and it seems most don't know much about maritime law and it seems to be giving this growing industry a black eye. I will grant you there are some unscrupluous and incompetant towers out there, but it certainly isn't the norm. just wonder what you guys think about it all...

Sean

ActiveFun 11-19-2004 12:13 PM

Its a no brainer. Sea Tow.

Sydwayz 11-19-2004 12:30 PM

I have TowBoatCraig223. Its a bltch when you gotta wake him up on a Saturday night though. :D

Tantrum 11-19-2004 12:37 PM

SeaTow is a Save The Manatee contributor, Boat US does not. If the coverage is the same in your area I would go with Boat US.

If your on Lake George make sure you have OTIS311's cell #. :drink: :D :drink: