Notices

OT- Ford Tranny Problem?

Old 11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OT- Ford Tranny Problem?

I've got a '99 F-350 Dually w/ 7.3 Powerstroke and auto trans. It's had a Superchip and other goodies in it since (almost) new. It now has 130,000 miles on it.

I was sitting in a parking lot the other day with it idling. A guy was walking by and stopped in front of my truck and was looking at it kind of funny like. He was on his phone and kind of walked away. I shut it down and started walking towards the store. The guy caught up with me and stopped me. He said he used to own a business that did a lot of work on diesels. He then told me my torque converter was on its way out. The sound coming from my truck is not normal and when the converter goes it will take the tranny with it.

I guess I feel lucky my tranny has lasted as long as it has, but I do not beat on it at all when towing (42 and 47 Fountains plus Bobcats and other stuff). He said it will go out between 150k and 175k miles. He also said Ford may take care of it if I get it in before 150k. The thing drives fine. What am I supposed to tell Ford? Some guy told me my tranny sounded bad and I want a new one? Yea, right.

Anybody know anything about this possible problem?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Default Re: OT- Ford Tranny Problem?

Mine is a 2001. My dealer service guy says the tranny needs the full service every 50K miles, just had mine done, it was $250 to do a complete drain on the torque converter etc. Vice the $126 drain and service.
I will say this much, at 80K miles my last tranny service changed my truck to like new shifting, I used to shift rough, and we tow about 13000 pounds (Donzi 33ZX on a 1800lb trailer.)
My 2 cents.

Did you the whole list of recommended items at 100,000 miles? Just curious, my goal is 300,000 plus miles from this truck.
Bryan
Old 11-22-2004, 08:02 PM
Registered

I pretty much follow the service manual for oil changes, etc. I've had the trans fluid changed twice. They did it through the cooler lines with the engine running so I assume the converter fluid changes also? I just got a notice from my dealer to perform the "126,000 mile service". I will probably do it since I may have this truck for a long time.

The guy told me these engines should easily go 300k miles. Transmissions are a different story, they don't shift hard enough from the factory (not enough line pressure) so the shifts are smooth. Most people like it that way, but the slow shifts are what wears them out. They need to shift fast and hard. The chip I have does improve shifting, but he said it really needs a shift kit installed. The bad part is the tranny has to come out to install the kit properly.

Do you subscribe to the Powerstroke Registry? It's a quarterly magazine with all kinds of good info and articles on the Powerstrokes.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you from experience that there aint no way in hell they will replace it under warrantee with 150K on it unless you have some kind of exteneded warrantee. Even with that I DOUBT that Ford will want to replace it. My next truck I buy I am going to save my money on the warantee. Ford used to be the best with repairs. Now they SUCK. I had to fix my tranny myself as I had it to the dealer like 9 times and they never got it right...... All the techs want to do now days is plug into the computer and then tell ya it is fine. Well jerk wads when there is a whire that is not plugged in then you don't get correct readings from the computer DO YOU!!!! Ok man you dragged up some memories

Jon
Old 11-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly
Jon....you need more couch time.....
lmao
Old 11-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Registered

Inn - My 2001 F350 D's tranny went out at 61,000 miles. Torque converter went out and took the tranny with it !!! $3500.00 !!!! My OD light on the shifter started flashing and it was shifting hard. The tech said I didn't do my service at 50K and it is REAL important to do the service.Now the new tranny when it shifts off a load or under acceleration, makes a sound like a turbo boost pressure relief valve???? Good Luck !!!! Dave
Old 11-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts

When a torque convertors failing you will sometimes hear ticking or clattering at idle,vibration at steady rpm,higher or lower stall speed than your used to(flaring up under power or lack of power)and you will start to see glitter on dipstick in oil. The problem with a ford diesel is they are so loud you can't really hear a abnormal noise from convertor at idle easily.Does anything feel abnormal or sound different to you.If you do need a convertor the aftermarket has a array of options for you,one of my wholesalers has a custom hd convertor that has billlet rear cover to prevent balooning and other upgrades at a decent price compared to what ive seen on some diesel pages,Smitty
Old 11-24-2004, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Troutly
Jon....you need more couch time.....
and a New Ford Dealer!!!
Knock on Wood, but I haven't had any Problems what so ever on my 99, F350. But I have the Tans. Fluid Flushed and Changed around every Third Oil Change, depending on the "Tow Miles" I'm sitting on 140k mileage now, and have alway's used the Shell Rotella Synthetic Oil for the Motor..

I have seen lots of Power Strokes with way over 300k on them,, on Delivery Trucks,, and they are still running the Dog Piss out of them every Day!!! Last year I saw one on a Pipe Del. Truck with 505k on it and they were still using it two to three times a week.

Jon; are you still Married??? |_| yes |_|no |_|maybe |_| fouk you
Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 PM
Registered

Ask turbosonic1 about his experience with his Ferd dually...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mama tryed
I have seen lots of Power Strokes with way over 300k on them,, on Delivery Trucks,, and they are still running the Dog Piss out of them every Day!!! Last year I saw one on a Pipe Del. Truck with 505k on it and they were still using it two to three times a week.
That's a lot of trannies to get that kind of mileage out of a Ford.

Quick Reply: OT- Ford Tranny Problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.