Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   1978 Bertram offshore, good or bad???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/90993-1978-bertram-offshore-good-bad.html)

Blaster 11-27-2004 11:19 AM

Re: 1978 Bertram offshore, good or bad????

Edward, thanks for the Input, History makes everything in my eyes.
When all is said and done, I will post Pictures for all. Just need to pick up in
the next week and get familair. Thanks again all. I will be intouch.
Blaster :D

Blaster 11-27-2004 11:22 AM

To Old, thanks for the Pictures.
Blaster

RumRunner 11-27-2004 12:35 PM

A family friend had one back in 84. (feeling old now) It was a great boat. It would hang with the 38' Cigarette SE we had in the real rough stuff off LI, but once you get inside the that thing was scary fast. First boat I ever drove with crash boxes. It always intereasting bringing that thing back into Freeport.

platinum 12-02-2004 03:22 AM

Blaster,

have you been able to establish which 38 Bertram you are looking at?

Andreas

MrCIG 12-02-2004 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one

Chatim Racing 12-02-2004 06:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
This is the boat I learned to throttle in in 1979 from the late Howard Quam. It was #45 called "FlapJack".

Here's a couple of pics of Flap Jack in '79 Benihana. My dad's boat (Top Banana) blew an engine the morning of the race so he flew in the helicopter instead and shot these...

They are good pics but not as good as the one the guy in the little wooden boat is taking!!

Andreas: I didn't realize your dad raced the WD-40 boat - I think I have some pics... Did you get that stuff I mailed to you on Vincentive? Also I looked for you at Key West but everytime I went by you weren't there..

Charlie McCarthy Jr.

PS - Blaster : I'll e-mail these to you too...

platinum 12-04-2004 11:11 AM

Charlie,

I received the pictures. Thank you very much!

Any info on Miss WD-40 would be gratly appreciated. Too bad we did not meet in Key West...

Andreas

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by platinum
Edward,

do you have any idea what became of the WD-40 boat? Who in Ft. Lauderdale did the conversion? This was originally my father's race boat, and I would love to know where it is today.

Andreas

It belonged to a guy on Long Island named Sal Modica. It was stolen, stripped and recovered with the transom cut out.
Sal shipped the boat to Ft. Lauderdale where I oversaw the reconstruction for him by a guy named Bob Naidus. Bob converted it to a pleasure boat with a cabin and some nice accommodations.
Unfortunately that's all I know. I haven't heard from Sal or Bob in years. Sorry.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 06:01 PM

Unless I'm mistaken those pics are Howard and Keith in the 1978 "FlapJack".
The 1979 one had less red, a white transom and red scoops on the hatches.

Or, it could be the other way around. Time has clouded my memory on some of the details. Sorry.

HiPerf2000 12-05-2004 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
friend of mine has this 28 barron. all original.