Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   KAAMA Drives??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91010-kaama-drives.html)

IDRPSTF 11-23-2004 04:08 PM

KAAMA Drives???

I am looking at a 1985 Scarab with KAAMA drives. Can some of the "Wise Old Owles" on the board give me some feedback. Turning, docking, Etc.

Thank you for your input!

dockrocker 11-23-2004 04:15 PM

Re: KAAMA Drives???

cuda in 5...4...3...2...1...

Wasabe 11-23-2004 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dockrocker
cuda in 5...4...3...2...1...

He's slow today :p

Jamie B. 11-23-2004 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wasabe

He's still licking his wounds from his bike spill :D

jody165 11-23-2004 04:20 PM

Try Dan at Archer, he still repairs them and makes some of the parts too. He should have some experience with them.

baronmarine 11-23-2004 04:35 PM

is that boat a 30' s type? purpleish red in color

Edward R. Cozzi 11-23-2004 04:52 PM

Does anybody remember an old 33' Sonic with 511 Hawks and the Kaama drives?
It was "Miller Light" or something.
Anyway, boat was a handful, but a blast to drive. Like anything new the drives are a challenge when first docking, but you'll get used to it. Betty Cook of offshore racing fame (1979,80), spent the money for the R & D. On the Sonic the props turned IN, so that added to the fun.

X-Rated30 11-23-2004 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wasabe

He's slow EVERY day. :drink:

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
I am looking at a 1985 Scarab with KAAMA drives. Can some of the "Wise Old Owles" on the board give me some feedback. Turning, docking, Etc.

Thank you for your input!

A little slower to come on plane, but make up for it in top speed. Turning is fine and docking just takes a little getting used to. Durable drives -- had one failure in 5 yrs of ownership. Run a search on here. Anything that you could ever want to know has been posted here and in the tech section. What length boat are you looking at?

cuda 11-23-2004 07:47 PM

Damn, a guy does a little work for a change, and all of a sudden, I'm a slacker! :rolleyes: :p

tamburello 11-24-2004 11:08 AM

Ed-

The Miller Lite Sonic with the Hawks and Kaamas was bought by a guy up here in Michigan and ran out of Holland in the 80s and early 90s. The name on the side of it was "Soo Bad" and it was red and white. Last time I saw it was a few years ago and it had been repainted white with a bunch of different colors splotched all over.
d
The owner also owned a marina where my parents kept teir boat. He tied a line from the shore to the stern of it to shore, put the throttles down, and used the prop wash to blow out the sand in the boat slips near shore to make them deeper. He trashed an expensive set of cleavers but avoided having to get a dredging permit and pay a dredge company. His sea strainers definitely worked hard that day.

- Jeff