Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Maggie's Mercruiser Special (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91141-maggies-mercruiser-special.html)

Semper Fi 11-25-2004 03:53 PM

Re: Maggie's Mercruiser Special

I love that boat!!

BROWNIE 11-29-2004 08:13 AM

George's v-bottom 46' became the Popeye's Marathon boat. I built the aluminum one on Thunderboat Row. It was the first triple-engined-ass-kicker for the Superboat class. It was way over a hundred, which was fast in those days. George's 48' cat was first to N.Y., and his old boat was second.

Biggus 11-29-2004 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
George's v-bottom 46' became the Popeye's Marathon boat. I built the aluminum one on Thunderboat Row. It was the first triple-engined-ass-kicker for the Superboat class. It was way over a hundred, which was fast in those days. George's 48' cat was first to N.Y., and his old boat was second.

Brownie, is this the same boat that Jay at Castaline has had for sale for a while?

Kurt

BROWNIE 11-29-2004 11:31 AM

Yeah, I heard a famous former racer bought it.

ygrowup 11-29-2004 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by fobes
Anyone know anything about the Maggies Cougar or George Morales, any pics...thanks: Matt

Pretty sure that the big cat ended up in Japan.........

T2x 11-29-2004 06:02 PM

George was an official entrant in the Miami NY race............ He ran much further offshore than the other team (Popeyes was the only other one to make it past northern Fla.).

We covered the race at both ends but could only find Popeyes off of NJ....... Morales was already in NY harbor when we took off from Atlantic City.........thinking we were way ahead of both boats.

T2x

Popeyes 11-29-2004 06:59 PM

R .L. is right. He was so fast we thought he had 2 boats. Something about a double blue moon. I know the logistics were staggering. Bill Sirois set it up and ran the show. A legend in my own mind. I truly miss him.

T2x 11-30-2004 05:44 PM

Okay...Here's a Morales story...from the Miami/NY Race

We're going from team to team...interviewing, getting testing shots, chatting with James Caan....etc etc.

We go over to Cougar...and watch the crew launching Maggies' Mercruiser Special..... George is preparing to test......wearing white slacks, Italian loafers, and a red silk shirt.... (What would you wear if you were trying to out shine the "Effing Diaz Brothers"?)

Anyway........

A Rolls Royce pulls up and out pops Maggie herself (George's wife)......... He motions her to join him on board, and before he could direct her otherwise, she hopped on one pickle fork and walked down the aluminum deck..... wearing stilletto heels..... the noise was right out of Walter Mitty's daydreams...... "Ta pocketa, Tapocketa, tapocketa"..as each step produced a dimple in the endless newly painted surface..... They embraced lovingly...exchanged geographic coordinates or some other little secrets...and separated adoringly..... She (almost) retraced her steps leaving a double trail of ruin behind her..

A few minutes later George turned to a wincing crewman...and said without blinking...... "Feez dat chit" and pointed to the deck.

This was Offshore racing in the 80's.............

For more info rent "Scarface"..........

T2x

Popeyes 12-01-2004 05:38 AM

I am not as good as T2x but here is one (story) for you. Somewhere in time ,80's, Al Copeland, George Morales, and me, are in the penthouse suite ( floor) at some hotel in Detroit.

It is the night before the race and we are up late bench racing. I go to get some ice and some guy in the hallway starts talking to me about races. I guess because I had a Popeyes shirt on. Turns out it is a guy we now know as Sting. I go back in the room and proceed to tell George and Al That the "Police" are staying on the same floor as us. George jumps up and says "Theeze Mother F!@#$%^ can never leave me alone. I am trying to explain to him that they are a band while he is ranting and Al is about to piss is pants laughing so hard. Anyway it gets blurry after there. One thing I remember about Maggie is that she never wore the same clothes ,shoes,acc.etc.. twice. George was quite proud of that fact in an offhand way. As the man said "such were the 80,s".

open87 12-01-2004 05:46 AM

this is some cool s h it !!! :cool: