Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Maggie's Mercruiser Special

I love that boat!!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

George's v-bottom 46' became the Popeye's Marathon boat. I built the aluminum one on Thunderboat Row. It was the first triple-engined-ass-kicker for the Superboat class. It was way over a hundred, which was fast in those days. George's 48' cat was first to N.Y., and his old boat was second.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
George's v-bottom 46' became the Popeye's Marathon boat. I built the aluminum one on Thunderboat Row. It was the first triple-engined-ass-kicker for the Superboat class. It was way over a hundred, which was fast in those days. George's 48' cat was first to N.Y., and his old boat was second.

Brownie, is this the same boat that Jay at Castaline has had for sale for a while?

Kurt
Old 11-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I heard a famous former racer bought it.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fobes
Anyone know anything about the Maggies Cougar or George Morales, any pics...thanks: Matt
Pretty sure that the big cat ended up in Japan.........
Old 11-29-2004, 06:02 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

George was an official entrant in the Miami NY race............ He ran much further offshore than the other team (Popeyes was the only other one to make it past northern Fla.).

We covered the race at both ends but could only find Popeyes off of NJ....... Morales was already in NY harbor when we took off from Atlantic City.........thinking we were way ahead of both boats.

T2x
Old 11-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R .L. is right. He was so fast we thought he had 2 boats. Something about a double blue moon. I know the logistics were staggering. Bill Sirois set it up and ran the show. A legend in my own mind. I truly miss him.

Last edited by Popeyes; 11-30-2004 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old 11-30-2004, 05:44 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Okay...Here's a Morales story...from the Miami/NY Race

We're going from team to team...interviewing, getting testing shots, chatting with James Caan....etc etc.

We go over to Cougar...and watch the crew launching Maggies' Mercruiser Special..... George is preparing to test......wearing white slacks, Italian loafers, and a red silk shirt.... (What would you wear if you were trying to out shine the "Effing Diaz Brothers"?)

Anyway........

A Rolls Royce pulls up and out pops Maggie herself (George's wife)......... He motions her to join him on board, and before he could direct her otherwise, she hopped on one pickle fork and walked down the aluminum deck..... wearing stilletto heels..... the noise was right out of Walter Mitty's daydreams...... "Ta pocketa, Tapocketa, tapocketa"..as each step produced a dimple in the endless newly painted surface..... They embraced lovingly...exchanged geographic coordinates or some other little secrets...and separated adoringly..... She (almost) retraced her steps leaving a double trail of ruin behind her..

A few minutes later George turned to a wincing crewman...and said without blinking...... "Feez dat chit" and pointed to the deck.

This was Offshore racing in the 80's.............

For more info rent "Scarface"..........

T2x
Old 12-01-2004, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not as good as T2x but here is one (story) for you. Somewhere in time ,80's, Al Copeland, George Morales, and me, are in the penthouse suite ( floor) at some hotel in Detroit.

It is the night before the race and we are up late bench racing. I go to get some ice and some guy in the hallway starts talking to me about races. I guess because I had a Popeyes shirt on. Turns out it is a guy we now know as Sting. I go back in the room and proceed to tell George and Al That the "Police" are staying on the same floor as us. George jumps up and says "Theeze Mother F!@#$%^ can never leave me alone. I am trying to explain to him that they are a band while he is ranting and Al is about to piss is pants laughing so hard. Anyway it gets blurry after there. One thing I remember about Maggie is that she never wore the same clothes ,shoes,acc.etc.. twice. George was quite proud of that fact in an offhand way. As the man said "such were the 80,s".
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (06-20-2021)
Old 12-01-2004, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

this is some cool s h it !!!

Quick Reply: Maggie's Mercruiser Special

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.