Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91277-fabio-buzzi-sets-new-world-record.html)

Catmando 01-06-2011 12:08 PM

Steve1 check this out

http://fbdesign.it/R&D.php

T2x 01-06-2011 01:27 PM

Nice to see you guys have "discovered" Fabio.......again.

He's been one of the finest boat racing minds in the world for decades.

T2x

Steve 1 01-06-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3290171)

Cat that is a old system ,but Buzzi has taken it up a level or so,Problem with urethane foam is it has no peel strength until the density of granite, apparently he has a better foam.

Steve 1 01-06-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290219)

T2x

Yes Sir without a doubt.

HabanaJoe 01-06-2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290219)

T2x

Wow, you agree with what I say all the time about him, I'm sure but that can't be good for my reputation on here? LOL

Serious question, the 1989 AC World's day 1 (Tuesday) you filmed it(?), we were there - how big were those seas? I have my guess but I would like to hear yours?

The reason I'm asking and no disepect to Catmando's comment here about 110 mph in 8-10 seas. But a real persepctive because I recall Gancia averaged 66 or 76 mph and pasted the Apaches? (I could wrong about this?)

Just an idea of seas and speeds from someone who covered more races than most people have raced in? I know very hard to equate the difficulty of steep waves on the shoals to same sized ocean swells along that course but a back to how fast boats really average in real ocean racing.

OL40SVX 01-06-2011 03:10 PM

I believe the record they broke was Paul Fiore in a triple diesel and blackhawk drive 40 Hustler in the early 90's.

cowisl 01-06-2011 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm (Post 3290322)
I believe the record they broke was Paul Fiore in a triple diesel and blackhawk drive 40 Hustler in the early 90's.

Always bringing the subject back to OL :drink:

T2x 01-06-2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe (Post 3290311)
Wow, you agree with what I say all the time about him, I'm sure but that can't be good for my reputation on here? LOL

Serious question, the 1989 AC World's day 1 (Tuesday) you filmed it(?), we were there - how big were those seas? I have my guess but I would like to hear yours?

The reason I'm asking and no disepect to Catmando's comment here about 110 mph in 8-10 seas. But a real persepctive because I recall Gancia averaged 66 or 76 mph and pasted the Apaches? (I could wrong about this?)

Just an idea of seas and speeds from someone who covered more races than most people have raced in? I know very hard to equate the difficulty of steep waves on the shoals to same sized ocean swells along that course but a back to how fast boats really average in real ocean racing.

Those seas were legitimate 4-5 feet..... (8-10 feet from peak to trough) with an occasional 7 footer. Yes we covered the event........ Most High Performance boaters make the common mistake of measuring seas from the bottom to the top of the wave rather than the variance from the mean water height which is the proper technique.

By the way....... The people who disagree with me the most.... have no one to blame but themselves.... :D

T2x

Catmando 01-06-2011 05:07 PM

"...Most High Performance boaters make the common mistake of measuring seas from the bottom to the top of the wave..." T2x

That's the way I thought they were measured too. BTW I love your race calls, especially on youtube with Team Apache, "...the magic throttle arm of Bob Saccenti. Show us how it's done Bob." "Pushin and pushin and pushin". "That's the wave that's been out here all week folks". Great stuff! :D

HabanaJoe 01-06-2011 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3290386)
Those seas were legitimate 4-5 feet..... (8-10 feet from peak to trough) with an occasional 7 footer. Yes we covered the event........ Most High Performance boaters make the common mistake of measuring seas from the bottom to the top of the wave rather than the variance from the mean water height which is the proper technique.

By the way....... The people who disagree with me the most.... have no one to blame but themselves.... :D

T2x

I don't have the stats from that race but do you remember the speeds and Gancia not even averaging 80 on day 1? I guess with threads about "best rough water boat ever", did any of them ever go as fast as we remember and would a modern day boat, OL, Apache, Donzi, Skater, Mistic, etc, etc really have a higher average speed on a day like that if they had to cover the 100 plus miles?

As you make note of often, you have finish to win and we were all a little more conservative knowing how far you had to go. I told the story on here before about what Buzzi's race plan was for every race:
- get out front first
- stay out front
- always set the pace
- make the gas boats chase you
- even if they pass you 70% of them will break before the race ends
- the other diesel boats can't catch us, so don't worry
- lastly, finish and you'll win by default

ps - we tend to go 2 mph per year faster for every year after the actual event - LOL