Notices

Cushioned Hitches

Old 11-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cushioned Hitches

Payton,
Are you using the type with the polyurethane inside the ball mount or are you using something similar to the schuck hitches listed in the original post? Trying to see if the schuck is better than the other(s). IF neither, let me know the brand you are using. What difference have you noticed with this product?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

i've had two different versions. i've had the DMI and the B&M, both of which use a spring setup. they work great around the farm when you are pulling grain wagons, anhydrous tanks or transporting large pieces of equipment (15-30K#). it takes a lot of the stress from sudden jolts caused by accelerating, stopping and uneven roads off of the hitch, mounting brackets & bolts and frame.

Last edited by jawbreakerkid; 11-29-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I am gonna second JBK on this one. I have the second one you have listed above rated for 10K pounds, witha 10K pound stainless steel ball on it. I used to use it when towing my 7500 pound Sonic/trailer.

With surge brakes, the initial surge forward of the trailer, when braking, the cushion pushes back on the surge actuator in a 'bounce." This allows the trailer to rebound backward, then come forward again, and regengage the brakes, over and over. It lessens the efficiency of your trailer brakes in short. Its not dramatic, but after towing with it for a while I could tell the different between cushioned, and a solid drawbar. I even changed from single axle drum brakes to dual axle disc brakes and still had same effect. In a panic stop, it still works pretty well. If you are buying it to try and not feel the THUMP when your surge brakes release after coming to a stop, don't buy it. You still feel the thump.

I will let mine go for cheap. Its a 4 inch drop/lift. I painted it grey to match my truck, and it has some surface rust on the drawbar, from sitting unused. The 2-5/16 ball is really nice as it is stainless steel, and still looks good. $40 plus shipping.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check out this thread for lots of info on WD hitches:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ributing+hitch

This is where I bought the whole setup from, and it works GREAT:

http://www.hitchfinder.com/weight_dist.htm

You have to buy the Pole Tongue Adapter to spread out the bars on your tongue beam.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the model 750RT R on this page.
http://www.schuckhitches.com/700series.html

Brian and Chad, I have not felt a difference towing with this hitch or the weight distributing hitch I used befor this one.

Last edited by Payton; 11-29-2004 at 09:34 PM.