Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Digital Cameras (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91305-digital-cameras.html)

Hydrocruiser 12-11-2004 11:16 AM

Re: Digital Cameras

Nikkor is going to be switching all lenses to ED glass in the next 2-3 years too as I had called and discussed this with them.

"It's also interesting that both new digital SLRs have CMOS sensors as opposed to CCD sensors. Previously, top-of-the-line SLRs from Canon and Kodak (as well as Nikon) had CCD sensors, which are more costly to produce. Besides a lower production cost, CMOS sensors use less battery power, which is important to all digital photographers".

http://www.dodgeglobe.com/stories/10..._cameras.shtml

"Canon and Kodak introduced new digital SLR (single-lens-reflex) cameras at the recent Photokina show in Cologne, Germany. The Canon EOS 1Ds has 11.1 megapixels and will sell for around $7,500. The Kodak DCS Pro 14n has 13.8 megapixels and will sell for approximately $4,000. Both cameras have CMOS image sensors the size of a 35mm film frame, which is a first for any digital SLR".

These are the first 2 digital cameras that offer image sensors equal to that of "35mm film" ever. They just have been released and both are very costly. the CMOS units in them are still in a "prototype" like stage. That's why I am waiting. It will be 2-3 years before CMOS is as good as CCD's.

"Nikon did not introduce a new digital SLR at Photokina. The company did, however, introduce an innovative SLR, the 6.1 megapixel Nikon D100, back in February at another photo convention. The D100 has a smaller-than-35mm CCD image sensor and sells for about $2,000".

For the moment Canon is tops again in the top end cameras. Nikon is still developing cmos chips. Top end digital SLR's are still in their infancy.

Hydrocruiser 12-11-2004 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had my FZ-20 with me on the way to a family get together..

Hydrocruiser 12-13-2004 04:05 PM

Called Nikon today about color saturation issues. They said the camera had average saturation and was not equal to film. They said in late '05 or early '06 new ccd's or possibly CMOS will be added with 8-10 million megapixels. It will be a "new" model. The D-70 may continue onward unchanged with a price reductio..tech was not sure.

TopSpin80 12-22-2004 08:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
got my FZ15 tonight. Alread took quite a few pictures. here some are

Ernie

the only adjustment to p[ictures is resizing from 1280 to 640.... 50%
first is night shot Fireworks mode
second is Night scenery
last is the cat... his name is Donzi... wife named him :D

I am taking pictures at the airport and airport museum tomorow what settings to get the shutter fast enought to stop the props on planes and helicopters?

jeaston 12-23-2004 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
got my FZ15 tonight. Alread took quite a few pictures. here some are

Ernie

the only adjustment to p[ictures is resizing from 1280 to 640.... 50%
first is night shot Fireworks mode
second is Night scenery
last is the cat... his name is Donzi... wife named him :D

I am taking pictures at the airport and airport museum tomorow what settings to get the shutter fast enought to stop the props on planes and helicopters?

Nice shots, it will only get better :D

DONZI 12-23-2004 06:14 AM

Catchy name for a cat :D . My FZ 20 Sits under the X-mas tree waiting to break out w/ Sunpak 383 flash & 1gb stick .TL-55,PD-55 in shipping. Great pic's..

TopSpin80 12-31-2004 06:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I finally got to the airport and it was really foggy. The galveston airport has a picnic spot on the roof of the tower and that is where the pictures are taken from. The would be a lot clearer if it wasn't so foggy. But some of them came out really good.

Ernie

TopSpin80 12-31-2004 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
oso shrinking the pictures doesn't do them justice.... have to click on them to get a sort of decent pic. The camera was set to shutter priority and a speed of 1/1600 for the pics that came out best, ISO 64, and mostly auto focus.... here is a pink cessna... even my wife thought it was gay.

The camera stops Helicopter blades in flight and that is what I wanted so I am happy :D now I just have to wait for a clear sunny day

Ernie

Hydrocruiser 12-31-2004 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DONZI
Catchy name for a cat :D . My FZ 20 Sits under the X-mas tree waiting to break out w/ Sunpak 383 flash & 1gb stick .TL-55,PD-55 in shipping. Great pic's..

Outdoor pictures are a breeze on program mode........

Here is the best settings for the FZ-20 with the 383 Sunpak:

If you have a Panasonic/Leica DMC-FZ-10;15 or 20 and a Sunpak 383 or Quantary 383 flash..(same units made by Sunpak)...here are the perfect settings:

Set the camera as follows:

Contrast: High Sharpness: High Saturation: Std. Noise: Std.

Ext flash to "manual"

EV: -1/3

Aperature setting to f4 : put camera on “A”perature setting

ISO-80

White balance to "Auto"

Metering to "Center Weighted"

Auto focus to : 3 area focusing (3 green rectangles across in the middle)

Set flash to: Yellow Auto mode

ISO 80

This gives 4' to 30' Auto flash Used these settings for Christmas 2004

Arc Soft: Photobase 4.5…. most were showing up on “autofix” +11…. fixed and sent to Sony.

Flash on Red Auto

iso 100 equals f 8

Range 0.6m-4.5m

2ft-15ft Auto Flash Not tested with camera on EV: -1/3

Flash on Green Auto

iso 200 equals f 2.8 2.3m-18m 7.5ft-59ft

Not tested with camera on EV: -1/3

Outdoors: Cloudy EV:-1/3 Very Bright sun camera EV:-2/3
Not tested outdoors with these settings. Suggest aperature of 5.2 – 5.6 best for depth.

Indoor picture shot with 383 on those settings. Amazing camera!! :D
...just left click on the picture and it will go to normal resolution.