Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Digital Cameras (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91305-digital-cameras.html)

jeaston 11-29-2004 05:25 PM

Re: Digital Cameras

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Great camera if you keep everything Canon. The Canon 18-55mm EF-S f4-5.6 IS USM ($599.95) and the Canon EF75-300mm ($529.95) are topdrawer. The best flash to go with is the canon EX speedlite @ $459.99.

You just have to keep it all Canon.

So...$899.99 after rebate for the camera and 18-55mm lens ..(not as good as the EF-S 17-85mm as it uses ED glass). Then add the 75-300 and flash ...total package $1,888.00.

It's not cheap in that you can't use the Quantary Digital flash for Canon as it has compatibility problems at only $ 139.99....also a high quality Quantary ED glass lens 70-300mm for digital Canons is only $ 169.99.

I think Canon "built in" the need for its' accessories. Nikon did not.

In the end if you buy the D-70 Nikon and go with Sigma lenses and a Sunpack Nikon flash TTL system you wind up paying about the same.

Very well said. :drink:

jeaston 11-29-2004 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The Fuji S 5000 is very nice ..it has a fast 2.8-3.1 Fujinon lens. 3 million megapixels.

You can see the FZ-20 Pana/Leica out to full digital zoom thinks it's a telescope. I never had a camera that took straight pictures of the moon and allowed you to see craters. :D

So the moon shot came from the pictured camera? If so that is one hell of a lens.Eagle taken with a Canon 1DS with 100/400 lens.

Hydrocruiser 11-29-2004 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jeaston
So the moon shot came from the pictured camera? If so that is one hell of a lens.Eagle taken with a Canon 1DS with 100/400 lens.

Yup..that moon picture was taken with full zoom capability; ON a tripod and the camera set to trigger with the timer to avoid vibration. Amazing thing or what?

Hydrocruiser 11-29-2004 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by formulaz583
Seems so. And one of the reasons that I bought the Rebel was that I already had 5 lens for my Elan. Fortunately, the only one that doesn't work is the Sigma.

What about the" lesser" Canon lens? Like the Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM Autofocus Lens or the Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens? These are $190 and $170 at B&H. $529 for a lens is a bit out of my range.

Check and see if they are ED glass & multi-coated lenses. The digitals do best with those type lenses.

I think you need to just keep it "Canon" and you will be all set. Even the Nikon likes Nikkor lenses better on digital cameras. But with Canon it's no choice basically.

Padraig 11-29-2004 09:41 PM

Check out the Olympus 770. 10x optical zoom and 4 mega pixels. I have had very good luck with mine and it is a nice compact size.

jeaston 11-30-2004 04:02 PM

Yup..that moon picture was taken with full zoom capability; ON a tripod and the camera set to trigger with the timer to avoid vibration. Amazing thing or what?

Totally amazing. great shot.

Neverfastenuf 11-30-2004 05:34 PM

You had better hang on to that camera Hydro!!!!!!! I have not been able to even come close to reproducing pictures like that (moon shot) with the same camera. You got an exceptional unit there sir.

Sam

Hydrocruiser 11-30-2004 05:38 PM

I found out today that Canon has the focusing motor in the lens whereas Nikon has it present in the body of the camera. So most any lens will work great in the Nikon because the actual camera is doing the focusing work whereas in the Canon the lens has this tiny motor. I may not have all the facts but heard it is harder for 3rd party manufacturers to make a lens and focusing device. The harder you look the more you will see why Nikon D-70's are flying out the door.

I must admit my Nikon has been on the shelf since I have gotten the Panasonic/Leica FZ-20. With a Sunpak or Quantary 383 flash ($75.00) and setting the camera to manual flash settings of iso 200 and then the flash to auto mode of f 2.8 and iso 200...it is impossible to take a bad indoor picture. Outside photography with it is a no brainer.

jeaston 11-30-2004 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf
You had better hang on to that camera Hydro!!!!!!! I have not been able to even come close to reproducing pictures like that (moon shot) with the same camera. You got an exceptional unit there sir.

Sam

I agree, using a canon mark II 400 with a 2x mutipier and can not get that shot

Hydrocruiser 11-30-2004 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Neverfastenuf

Sam

It's a picture of a harvest time period moon. You know the position of the earth has a lot to do with capturing a photo in terms if it's relative size etc. But that photo was made without any add on lenses. Here are a couple more photos with the Panasonic/Leica FZ20. Remember..all previous Panasonic/Leica cameras before the FZ-20 did not have ED glass multi-coated lenses. Plus Leica put the image stabilizer in the lens like Nikon does with it's very expensve zoom lenses. All I am saying is if you have 600 bucks and want theses kind of pictures you know what to do! Of course you need an add-on Sunpak Auto 383 flash for $75.00 if you want great pictures and an SD memory card...I bought a 1GB 60x speed card for $ 70.00. It's a perfect camera for going to the boat races with!! Ask Phantom!

I still proclaim that the Nikon D-70 is the only thing out there that can touch this baby! It should it costs 3x more.