Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OK TwinStepGun is the Historian (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/91639-ok-twinstepgun-historian.html)

Sight and Sound 12-02-2004 10:09 PM

OK TwinStepGun is the Historian

What are your thoughts on the history of Don Aronow?

dhlaw 12-02-2004 10:16 PM

Re: OK TwinStepGun is the Historian

I think his best work was the Apache that Kramer and Saccenti raced......

Sight and Sound 12-03-2004 08:35 AM

Who's got pictures?

HiPerf2000 12-03-2004 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here

BLee 12-03-2004 09:38 AM

Hey Andy. :drink:

I'm not the authority on Don Aronow. There are alot of guys on here that actually knew him, unlike me. I have spoken with alot of these guys, and read about everything ever written about him since I was a kid, not that I believe it all. That just makes me a reporter. :D

He seemed to be the most driven man of that era, or maybe ever. I think Reggie Fountain would be a good comparison of his drive on the racecourse. Always raising the bar. It didn't seem like he worried about failing, because there were alot of boats he built that were not good ideas. He tried them anyway and started over until he figured it out.

He knew how to make money, legally or otherwise. He definitely got the better end of any deal he made with his companies and boats. "Non compete clauses" were a laughable topic to him I'm sure. There were alot of guys that helped make it happen with Don. He definitely could be considered the figure that powerboating most associates itself with.

I think the way he died, where he died, and the mystery that surrounds his death is what's appealing to most of people. I'm more interested in the boats than the murder.

I'm not sure powerboating would be much different today if he was still alive. There are alot of talented builders and designers out there constantly innovating. However, I'm sure he would be right in the thick of it. and would have his say on many of the current records. :cool:

Sight and Sound 12-03-2004 09:42 AM

Very Cool! Wasn't there a movie in the works?

BLee 12-03-2004 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sight & Sound
Very Cool! Wasn't there a movie in the works?

I've heard rumors of a movie, but I'm not sure thats actually going to happen. There's a really cool A&E story that ran awhile back about Don. If you have a dvd burner, I could let you copy mine.

Sight and Sound 12-03-2004 11:02 AM

Great, I'll catch up with you sometime and get it!

InXS 12-03-2004 11:18 AM

A & E did a nice documentary on Aronow a sometime back. I got the DVD on it from Freeze Frame Video and very glad to have it. :D

Sight and Sound 12-03-2004 11:01 PM

Brandon, I just watched my copy of "Apache History" from the guys at big-seas. It's pretty cool. You need to come by the shop to get it and check it out.